what is periarticular osteopenia

By May 3, 2010 - 12:14pm

Melrose - The term periarticular means surrounding a joint. Ostopenia, as Susan said, is mild thinning of the bones - It's not as severe as osteoporosis. Osteopenia results when the formation of bone is not enough to offset normal bone loss. Osteopenia is generally considered the first step along the road to osteoporosis, a serious condition in which bone density is extremely low and bones are porous and prone to shatter.

Diminished bone calcification, as seen on plain X-ray film, is referred to as osteopenia, whether or not osteoporosis is present. The diagnosis of osteopenia may also be made by a special X-ray machine for bone density testing. The World Health Organization defines osteopenia as a bone density between one standard deviation (SD) and 2.5 SD below the bone density of a normal young adult. Osteoporosis is defined as 2.5 SD or more below that reference point.

Here's some links to help you better understand this condition:

While you do not have arthritis you may want to learn about the services of the nonprofit Arthritis Foundation as they offer very helpful and practical tips on dealing with joint pain and weakness. http://www.arthritis.org/

It's not easy dealing with the pain from this but I hope you will be able to find comfort in learning more about your condition and will consider reaching out to a support group as other patients often give the very best advice on managing medical conditions in going about our everyday lives.

Is this helpful? I wish you the very best. Pat

(reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you for all the information, your concern and gettting back to me so promptly. I really do appreciate it.

Hi Melrose

Periarticular osteopenia is a thinning of the bones that occurs around a particular joint.

Is this something you or someone you know is dealing with?

I had an xray of my left hand and wrist. That is what they found. I suffer with pain in my thumb and wrist when I do something as simple as reach for something or even stretch upon awaking. I have weakness in that hand if I try to lift something. Pain radiates through it if I just try to open my car door.

Osteopenia Guide