What's the next step after a second abnormal pap?

By June 16, 2010 - 9:11am

I recently went 2 the Dr 4 a repeat pap afta 6 mos. Last August my pap came back abnormal, which lead me 2 hav a colposcopy done, followed by cryo surgery. I really dnt wanna believe I hav 2 go thru this process again!!! :-( I'm waiting 2 hear frm the Dr. I jus wanted 2 kno what 2 expect next.

Hi muwhite

Thanks for your question and welcome. I'm sorry you're dealing with this; it's a very common issue for women, unfortunately.

If your pap is fine, then you'll continue to be monitored every six months for another year or so and then you'll likely be back on a yearly schedule for a bit. Then you'll be every few years like most women. In other words, things will get back to normal pretty quickly.

If your results come back with signs of cervical disease, you may have to go through the same procedures again and/or further testing may be done to make sure the abnormal cells are not spreading. But all this will be based on how your tests come back. You may need closer monitoring or you may need surgery. Again, you'll know more when you get your results. Do bear in mind that the procedures you had done are quite successful in preventing cells from turning cancerous so you certainly did the right thing by being proactive.

Will you let us know when you get your results back? We'll be able to help you a lot more then but hopefully you'll get a great results and monitoring is all you will need! I look forward to hearing more from you!