When is the right time to be gutted?

By December 12, 2009 - 1:01am

I have PCOS.....I'm going to the Dr and I'm at the point that I just want it all out and move forward with life! I'm 36 and tired of the PCOS world. Is it worth all the pills and treatments when I do not plain on having anymore children? I've had this for 16yrs.

PCOS is so frustrating (that's how I was feeling when I said "gutted)"....Thank you for the talk, it did put things in prospective for me. I did go and check out the link's you gave me and they did help.

Oh, I see! What a strange visual I'm getting, with "gutted"!

The answer to that lies with you, and no-one else. My opinion on a hysterectomy is that it would have to be the very, very last resort and for me, it would almost need to be a life or death situation.

The reason I feel this way is because our uterus is not just a baby house for 9 months at a time. It is so much more. A hysterectomy can be (and is) a life saving procedure for many women (women with cancer, for example) and in other instances, can provide a lot of relief.

But for many others, it's leads to very damaging side effects - from sexual side effects to chronically dry skin and hair, to insomina and to depression. I am not trying to scare you away from any procedure you feel is necessary to make you well again - but I will tell you that you need to think about trying anything and everything before you opt for a hysterectomy. It needs to be a last resort. I have heard from far too many women who deeply regret not trying other methods first.

Don't misunderstand - I also know woman who got great relief from the procedure but remember that it's firm and final, and there is no going back. At your age, I would try all other options first and please do not let any doctor tell you right off the bat that a hysterectomy is a good idea for a 30-something woman with your condition. If that is his only advice, get a second (and third) opinion. Too many doctors view a woman's female organs as somehow only connected to baby making which is completely false.

As I talked about before, PCOS has many options that need not include a hysterectomy. Bear in mind also, that this procedure will immediately put you into menopause.

Is a hysterectomy worth it? It might be, if all else fails. But make sure you give "all else" every chance before you make this irreversible decision and make sure no-one talks you into it by making it seem like a simple procedure with few issues afterward.

Dear Kraebel,

Thanks for your question. When you ask "when is the right time to be gutted?" what do you mean by this?

There are many treatment options available that incur few side effects and are quite effective. You can take a look at them here : http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/11/10/treatment-options-and-lifestyle-tips-pcos-sufferers?page=0,1

You may find that something relatively "simple" like birth control pills can really help you and you may not need further treatment. But you may also have to do a trial-and-error process too, until you find out what works for you.

And if this has been a nightmare for you for so long, trying treatment options may be frustrating and time-consuming but may well be worth it in the long room so that you get this monster off your back once and for all.

Let me know what you think about the link I posted...