Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Who has had groin nerve pain after surgery (i.e. c-section, hernia, hysterectomy)? How was it treated and was it successful?

Anonymous

i had a c sectoin 20 months ago and suffered with a headache for about 5 weeks after.i had really bad pains and big lumps on my scar under my skin the doctor said i had an infection she put me on antibiotics.i suffered with very bad pain for months after keept going back to the doctors they keept telling me it will heal just give it time it took me about 10 visits at the doctors before they sent me for an ultra sound turned out i had a hernia in my right groin,i had it fixed last year in september and my pain is even worse than ever in both sides of my groin and across my c sectoin scar i can even litf my 20 month old son without hurting my self my legs just give way on me all the time and i sometimes cant walk because of the pain. i have large lumps across my scar and its all numb still is this normal i have been back to my doctor and she keeps telling me it will get better but it just seems to be getting worse i cant lay flat on my back my groins just pain and i feel very uncomfortable,i cant have sexual intercourse without it hurting and if i do i cant walk afterward because of the pain can you tell me what they have done to me and can it be fixed id love to beable to do normal stuff again without the pain .

Elsie22 (reply to Anonymous)

Hi
Were you able to get some help?
Elsie

Diane Porter

Elsie,

Wow. I'm so sorry about your pain. Chronic pain is one of the hardest things to deal with, and nerve pain can be nearly unbearable.

Neurectomy -- the removal or partial removal of a nerve -- is somewhat controversial because of the possible negative side effects. But since you have tried so many things and are still dealing with chronic pain, I can undestand why you would consider it.

So that readers might find you better, I've created a new question with "neurectomy" in the title line. Perhaps someone who has had this procedure will weigh in.

Here's a link to the new question:

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/how-do-you-deal-chronic-nerve-pain...

I hope we get some results for you. You shouldn't have to be in constant pain.

Elsie22

Diane
I have ilioinguinal & perhaps iliohypogastric nerve pain. It goes away when I lie down but pretty much every thing else aggrivates it. Kind of like carpel tunnel of the groin - or a bad tooth ache in the groin. I dont think anyone could imagine how much it hurts unless they have had a similar injury. I have tried pretty much everything except neurectomy. MRI, CT, Ultrasound, physio, pulsed radiofrequency, & drugs. No one that I have been referred here in Canada is supportive of neurectomy but apparently there are some excellent surgeons in the US who claim good results. I have never heard a personal story of good results so am leary. I hope to hear from someone who has had successful long term therapy.

Anonymous (reply to Elsie22)

Hi Diane,

I have a very similar pain after having colon resection surgery about 7 years ago. The nerve pain started last year and I have had 3 rounds of abdominal nerve blocks, to the ilioinguinal and genetofemoral nerves, along with very specific PT for the past year. The pain did go away for approx. 6 months and it was fabulous. However the nerve blocks have worn off and the pain/nausea/bloating are back with a vengeance. I am scheduled to see a surgeon who specializes in peripheral nerve surgery. He has had great success with this and both my pain management physician and physical therapist know several patients who have had excellent results.

I totally and completely understand the pain you are going through. I have had a huge amount of pain in my lifetime with multiple surgeries and such and have a high pain tolerance. However, this pain is debilitating. I am very nauseous all of the time, and also can not make the pain diminish w/o laying down with a heating pad, 24/7. I am hoping and praying the surgery is a huge success. I will be more than happy to check back in with you afterward to let you know.

I see that your post was a year ago so hopefully you have found a good solution by now as well. Thanks for sharing your story. I think there is comfort in knowing we are not the only people with this condition.

Elsie22 (reply to Anonymous)

I hope you get this message. It seems that you have good doctors working with you - did you see the surgeon yet? Hopefully you can pace yourself with some meaningful activity in-between episodes lying with the heating pad. Please check-in with me and tell me how you are doing!
Elsie22

Anonymous (reply to Elsie22)

Hi Elise,

I am sorry for the delay in my response. I had to wait awhile for scheduling but am 3weeks post op from the denervation of my right side. Dr. Robert Hagan is amazing! He found I had 4damaged nerves and through selective temporary nerve blocks, he was able to diagnose exactly which nerves where effected and simulate the effectiveness of surgery. I had the surgery on Oct. 12 and am happy to say I already am seeing at least a 70% reduction in nerve pain. Some nerves will be pain free immediately, while the ones that were decompressed may take up until 6 months to be pain free. The surgery was out patient, and has about a 6 week recovery. I am having my left side operated on exactly 6 weeks from the first surgery. Dr. Hagan has about a 90% success rate at completely removing all pain with this surgery. He is very popular and is a super guy with a great caring personality. Not sure how that would work with you living in Canada, but I thought I would still send his info along. Www.neuropaxclinic.com. Let me know if you have any questions. I wish you the best of luck! -Julie

Elsie22 (reply to Anonymous)

Julie,
How are you doing now?
Elsie

Anonymous (reply to Elsie22)

Hi Elise,

Great to hear from you! I am doing great! I am 4 weeks post op and the surgery has removed at least 95% of the pain from my right side. I still have some pain from one nerve which they had to use decompression instead of denervation and Dr. hagan said that takes a little while as we are waiting for the area to heal and inflammation to calm down. Other than that, surgery pain is almost completely gone, and just the left side pain remains. My next surgery date is Nov 23.

I am so excited about getting my life back. This has taken more time than I thought, but truly removing the pain permanently is just so exciting. How are you doing?

Take care,

Julie

Diane Porter

Elsie22,

Have you been evaluated with ultrasound or MRI? What sort of nerve damage or pain have you been diagnosed with? Do you know exactly what caused the nerve injury?

What have your doctors done as part of your treatment? Doctors often use steroid injections or anesthetic injections into the area to help with the pain. Medications like carbamezepine or gabapentin.

Have you had physical therapy, or was any prescribed for you?

Here's a good page on this kind of pain. It's dense at the top, but if you scroll down you'll find a lot of information in layperson's language. It is divided into specific nerve injuries, how they can be injured and treatments:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1234809-overview

I hope others who have gone through this will write and let you know what worked for them.

How do you control your PMS?: