Why is anesthetic not routinely used during a cervical biopsy?

By February 20, 2011 - 4:56pm

I recently had a Colopscopy (sp?), during which the specialist decided a biopsy was necessary. I have had yearly pap and never a bit of pain...but I found the cervical biopsy an unpleasant experience. Why would a physician NOT provide local anesthetic, and allow for time to "freeze" the area to be sampled?

long story, short. I refused to go for annuals for years due to cervical biopsy in my 20's that left me feeling violated (the pain was secondary). I passed out, getting dressed. woke alone on the floor. In my 40's, I started therapy for childhood sexual abuse. I had to get a "full" physical. Yup! HPV+... abnormal pap; recommended colposcopy/biopsy. I agreed, if they would put me out. they refused. I spent months calling offices, unsuccessfully. I called my insurance company; argued "psych condition" warranted anesthesia - or I would refuse the procedure... until they "had" to put me out. they found me a dr. that would put me out. my meet/greet appt was last week. wait n see mode. I'm not advocating that anyone else take this approach. I didn't take it lightly. I couldn't "talk myself" into allowing it any other way. I only write this so that other women and hopefully medical personnel understand that this is not acceptable! we use to do a lot of things without anesthesia that would be considered barbaric and abusive today. Some women get through it fine. Many do not. Women need to talk about this more and stop thinking we're alone.

I had a cervical biopsy this week and it was utterly awful. I screamed, bawled and cussed. The day after the muscles in my ass hurt from the severity of the clenching. I was told it would feel like a pinch. It was worse then the pain when I had to have an emergency gallbladder surgery. They have to downplay the pain I suppose, or then they would have to explain why no pain relief measures are taken. I dont know why something can't be given orally or a local anesthetic. The cramping continued for a while afterwards and I felt so violated from the experience. There was a large pool of blood under me when I got up which also tells me this was much more than a "pinch." I will never NEVER do this again without pain prevention measures.

I was told my pap smear had come back with HPV 16 and would need a colposcopy to further diagnose. I'm up on the table without pants on expecting the colposcopy and then the doctor says, "Okay, this might pinch." Surprise biopsies! I keep wondering why on earth I didn't say anything like, "Hey there! Whatcha doing?" But honestly, who wouldn't be shocked and traumatized by that? I've had migraines before and I think I would've taken the migraine over the biopsies.

I'm due my third lot of biopsy's this morning. Last time the doctor took three and I burst into tears. I felt so stupid. I've had two procedures and both times I have reminded to have a GA. This time I have made it clear I want a local anesthetic before any biopsies are taken as my doctor suggested that last time. Apparently, its tender due to the fact I have scar tissue there. I don't think my doctor has had a biopsy taken herself. Will let you know how It goes. So nervous.... Not sure which will hurt more a biopsy or a big needle put in a place the sun doesn't shine.

Two days ago, I had my first colposcopy with three cervical biopsies and a culture.
I have a reasonably high pain threshold, but...the colposcopy was pretty uncomfortable, but manageable (I felt like my cervix was being crushed). The main thing is that the biopsies hurt... A LOT!
The worst part of it is that my doctor did not prepare me AT ALL. I have found it very helpful in the past if a doctor says, "Okay, this may hurt a bit, take a deep breath now..." --or whatever.
To call the pain of a biopsy a "pinch" is as absolutely ridiculous (and as offensive) as calling a migraine "just a headache." (And I believe that anyone who would call a cervical biopsy just a "pinch" probably has never had one themselves!)
I don't want to add to anyone's fear or anxiety, though. I survived, though a bit rattled and shaky from the pain. And a bit more than a little angry.
The good news is that the colposcopy/biopsy should be over pretty quickly.
I would definitely recommend taking an ibuprofen before, or requesting sedation. Check with your doctor about ibuprofen, because you don't want to be thinning your blood too much prior to the procedure. (And if you get sedation, you won't be able to drive yourself home, and the sedation itself might make you a bit ill. UGH!)
I just don't understand why there isn't anything like a topical anesthetic (not an injection) that can take the edge off the pain. (?!)
Welcome to the limits of "modern" (Western) Medicine, I guess. Especially women's medicine.
Wishing everyone good luck and good health. :-)

Im so glad I found I'm not the only one. Had one today and I have had all kinds of procedures done with little pain even the past Drs where amazed how well I take pain, I also had this done 9 years ago and it was just uncomfortable but not this time. I screamed out in pain and almost threw up and pass out . After trying to finish twice I stopped it I had enough. Now the Dr is going to put me under and finish it since I need another procedure that can be done at the same time. I also cried all the way home and felt like I was just left in the room to get dressed and check out even still feeling faint. I gave birth and it was not as bad and many surgeries that never came this close. Something should be done about this procure.

I've read so many reviews like this that scare the heck out of me! I'm supposed to have a biopsy and I feel like I'd rather have cervical cancer. Why is our only option a needle or a scalpel? I feel like men made this test up and Said it doesn't need anesthesia. I'm so stressed out and I wish someone would just make this whole thing less scary. I don't even want to do the biopsy that might save my life.

Pls have them give you local anest ..
I got it done today and screamed and cried like a baby.. Im
So mad that I will make a complain..
I was not ready for that and she
Made it sound as if it wasnt a bid

OMG! I have been looking for others who understand!! I am currently refusing to get a biopsy done. The anxiety over the last several months is overwhelming; cancer or biopsy? the lesser of two evils/nightmares? I had one done about twenty years ago, and will NEVER have another done without being put out. Yes, it's painful! Anyone who says otherwise has not had one done! To add insult to ingury; I passed out, while getting dressed, and came to in a room with tools strewn across the floor, alone.

I had my first/last biopsy over/about 20 years ago. I passed out while getting dressed and fell into the "tool tray" as well! I'm recently (a few months ago) HPV positive and dodging phone calls and even a certified letter to return. I feel like I don't have a choice/triggering memories of past sexual abuse on top of passing out the last time. I know what I should do, but I can't. I' rather die; not kidding/exaggerating. I absolutely won't do it without getting drugged or knocked out. Klonopin that I take for panic attacks gets me through pap smears. I need more! I don't know how to find a doctor/OBGYN that deals with this. Three years of therapy got me to go for a pap after 5 years of avoiding; little more. Has ANYONE ever found a OBGYN that accommodates? Please reply. I want to be put out!!! If insurance won't cover it, I'll pay for it. That's what I do for dentists. I won't go back until I find something I can deal/live with. If I have cancer, and more procedures... I'd rather die. I can't be the only one! I can't find anyone that has gotten around "just having the procedure-as is." Not an option for me.