Why do I get red broken blood vessels on my cheeks and my nose?

By Blogger July 15, 2014 - 12:04am

All of a sudden i've gotten red broken blood vessels on my nose and cheeks. Am I blowing my nose too hard? Why would this just be on my cheeks?

Hi Hayden

Broken capillaries on the face are quite common and, unfortunately, difficult to treat. 

They are both genetic and environmental in nature (too much sun/wind/cold).  Using very hot water on the face can also cause broken capillaries. Too much alcohol can also cause them, as can menopause and high blood pressure.  

They can make the face looked burned, as they cause redness and thread-like tiny veins over the face.

Treatment includes sunscreen (to prevent more breakouts), low to moderate alcohol use, a good foundation to mask them and also a visit to the dermatologist to see what can be done. 

Ridding the face completely is not always possible but laser therapy can help. 

Will you keep us posted on your treatment choices?