Why do I have to be awake for my cryoablation?

By June 2, 2010 - 8:59am

I am scheduled for my procedure this Friday, June 4, 2010. I have valium prescribed for me, as well as percocet for after the procedure. Does this procedure really hurt for me to have percocet prescribed? Are the cramps THAT bad? What am I going to be feeling DURING the procedure? Is it cold? The brochure stated it takes about 20-30 minutes. Will I be going out of my mind for those 20-30 minutes? As scared as I am, I have to do something about these heavy and long periods. My last period started on May 6, 2010 and ended on May 23, 2010. Ridiculous. But I am really scared. Is it just uncomfortable or painful?

Good morning, Ladies. I am here to give you an update regarding my cryoablation procedure, which was done on June 4, 2010. It was not as bad as I imagined it to be. My doctor, Dr. Rubino, let me know what he was doing every step of the way and sometimes it was "TMI". I felt no pain whatsoever, but couldn't wait til it was over. After he was done, I got up, got dressed and felt no pain in my uterus. The Motrin injection, however, did have my body a little too relaxed. The procedure was at 10:00 a.m. and I was back home in bed with my feet up by 12:10 p.m.

I had a little water leaking and all I needed was a regular pad (not the DEPENDS I thought I was going to have to buy) and by Sunday afternoon, no more leaking anything.

I feel great and will update you all when my period comes....if it comes. My doctor says, "That's it." ; )

HERWriter Guide (reply to MrsPage)

Hi MrsPage

Thanks so much for the update! You will help many other women in the process. I'm so glad most of the discomfort was in your mind - it usually is when it come to this procedure!

It sounds like a great success so far so keep us updated and if you have any more questions let us know.

Hi Mrs. Page

Thank you for your question and welcome!

If at all possible, most doctors prefer localized anesthesia due to the risk of a general anesthetic. Being put completely "to sleep" takes quite a toll on the body.

This procedure should not be painful - more perhaps mentally uncomfortable, especially if you are a bit squeamish. But there is no medical need for a general anesthetic at all. You should be fine during the procedure, although a bit of cramping is common. You may hear the tools being used but you won't feel too much. The discomfort will be your own stress. Ask if you can bring an iPod or something similar, so you can tune things out a bit. Some women have no pain after, some prefer to take a pain killer ; it's all up to the individual.

You should be back to normal by the next day but bear in mind that you may have watery discharge, cramping or bleeding for some time after. Again, it varies from person to person - your doctor will explain (or already has, I hope) this to you.

For more information on this, we have a huge thread on this very subject and it's filled with the cryoablation experiences of other women - I think it'll help you a lot. Remember, many women are worried about the discharge after, but that's pretty normal. Take a look here : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/has-anyone-had-her-option-cryo-ablation-procedure-done-heavy-bleedingpms-cramps-i-had-

I hope this information helps - let me know what you think!

Thank you, Susan, for your detailed response. You are right in thinking that it would mostly be mentally uncomfortable for me. Before your response, I didn't know what to expect. In my mind, I would hear the sounds of road construction going on in my uterus. So thank you for putting my mind at ease. I can deal with uncomfortable for 20-30 minutes, if it's going to ease my periods up some. I'm not expecting total disappearance of it....just make it more normal like it used to be before my last child 6 years ago. What type of protection do you recommend for the watery discharge? Should I go out and buy a pack of Depends or do you recommend a specific brand of sanitary napkins to prevent visible leakage, if any?