Why would the bump on the roof of my mouth hurt?

For a long time, I've had a bump on the roof of my mouth. I believe it was from years ago when I had a spacer in my mouth (as a result of that) every once in awhile, it will hurt, similar to a pimple. A couple days will pass and my mouth will return to normal (the bump is still there). What causes this?

Hi Carrie Margaret! 

Canker sores tend to crop up in the same places in one's mouth and this may be what is going on with your mouth sore. 

Your "bump" becomes aggravated due to certain foods you eat or if you tend to run your tongue over your bump a lot - do you have a habit of picking or focusing on that bump with your tongue?  

Another possibility (and it could be the likely culprit) is something called Torus Palatinus.  This is a kind of lesion (harmless) containing tissue that can easily be removed. 

I would ask your doctor about this and see if you can have it removed (if it is torus palatinus) so that is doesn't bother you anymore. 

Will you keep us posted?

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide