Will a D&C help with heavy bleeding?

I was scheduled to have an Ablaysion procedure, but while under anesthesia the machine did not work and my Dr performed a D&C instead. The ablaysion procedure was supposed to help with the heavy bleeding and longer menstrual cycles I've been having. I want to know if the D&C procedure will do the same thing as the ablaysion procedure was supposed to do?

Hello, I have read all responses. I am curious to how you are feeling after the D&C and if it helped you? I have been suffering from heavy bleeding, and taking Tranexamic Acid to help stop the bleeding after 12 weeks. My blood test shows I have not gotten anemic but, have felt drained. I did not have problems with heavy bleeding until after I had an IUD taken out. An ultrasound found fibroids in my uterus and now the next option is a D and C. I am afraid if I choose the ablation it will lead to a hysterectomy down the road as I know of other ladies that had to do this? I know everyone is different but, a permanent solution is also tempting. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I just wanted to comment on Susan's answer about the ablation procedure. She had mentioned that people that have had ablation can still get pregnant but it is more difficult. I had heard (I believe it was from my doctor) that if you become pregnant after the procedure it can be very dangerous to both the mother and the baby. You should verify that with your doctor.

Thanks Anon - I did indeed post that but also advised caution:

You're right, there are risks involved in pregnancies after abalation but many healthy babies are born after these procedures, nonetheless. All women should weigh the pros and cons first, along with listening to doctor advice."

My doctor said that you can still get pregnant after an ablation but you would not beable to carry the baby to term; basicly you'd either abort the pregnancy or miscarry. She also informed me it could cause a tubulor pregnancy. So basicly, if you have the ablation procedure you are going to want to use some form of birth control. Best of luck to you...I'm weighing the pros & cons of all this rigt now myself due to medical issues.

You're right, there are risks involved in pregnancies after abalation but many healthy babies are born after these procedures, nonetheless.

All women should weigh the pros and cons first, along with listening to doctor advice.

Thanks for your input!

I am so sorry that happened! I can understand a machine not working..but they could not find another one in the entire hospital?!

It sounds great that you are able to advocate for yourself, and ask why a D&C was done without your consent. The procedures are different, but a D&C could help your heavy periods; it is just with this procedure, it is more likely that you would need it repeated. However, you may not need another procedure if your heavy bleeding becomes normal.

Please let us know how your conversation goes with your doctor next Tuesday!

Thanks for finding EmpowHer!

Had the doctor talked to you about alternatives to ablation before?

The definition of a D&C, according to the Mayo Clinic, is when "...your doctor opens (dilates) your cervix and then scrapes or suctions tissue from the lining of your uterus to reduce menstrual bleeding. Although this procedure is common and often treats menorrhagia successfully, you may need additional D and C procedures if menorrhagia recurs."

Menorrhagia is the term for very heavy periods.

However, a endometrial ablation (this is what you asked for, correct?) is described as a technique that while"..using a variety of techniques, your doctor permanently destroys the entire lining of your uterus (endometrium). After endometrial ablation, most women have little or no menstrual flow. Endometrial ablation reduces your ability to become pregnant."

So both are quite different. One reduces heavy periods (the D&C and does not affect the odds of pregnancy). The other (ablation) can stop periods completely, or drastically reduce them and can affect the odds of pregnancy.

I don't know your future plans, but if you want children, the D&C is a much better option in that sense (although those with an ablation can get pregnant too; it just can be a lot more difficult).

A D&D may definitely help you in terms of heavy periods but won't have such an extreme effect that the ablation possibly can.

So knowing now the difference between the two, how do you feel? Is this explanation easy to follow?

Yes that explanation helps A LOT, thank you! No, my Dr didn't discuss alternatives to the ablation procedure. I have an appt with him next Tue because I have so many unanswered questions for him as to why he performed a D&C without my consent. Also, I need to know if I still need to have the ablation procedure because it sounds like from your explanation that I do. I find it absurd that they didn't know the machine would not work after they put me under anesthesia. Looks like I'll be making another trip to the hospital, but the next one will be free. Thank you for responding so quickly. This has been a nightmare so far to say the least. I certainly don't want to go through this again, but I want a permanent solution not a temporary fix.

PS: I am 43 and have my tubes tied, so pregnancy is not an issue. (: