worried over missed bc pills.

By June 8, 2010 - 9:03pm

i am on trivora birth control & i've been for at least a couple of years. i've never missed pills before, so this is quite a big concern for me. i missed my second week's thursday & friday, had intercourse on friday & realized saturday that i had not taken thursday & friday's pills. i took all three immediately. last night, i noticed some brownish/redish on my underwear and it has continued til today. not really heavy, but more of a spotty. i'm guessing this is normal, but my fear is pregnancy. i know the 'pull out' method isn't effective & frankly it didn't even get that far. anyways, i start my 'period' week this sunday (in 4 days) and i normally don't get my period until tuesday or wednesday of the 4th week. will this cause me to get it later? and if i don't get it at all, take a test? i'm so confused and worried, because i'm always so careful!

appreciate any help!!!!

Hi chocolate000

If you miss two pills in your second week you should have taken a pill immediately and then two the next day. It is not appropriate to take 3 active pills in one day. Then you should have continued on as usual and finished your pack, but should consider a back up method for at least 7 days.
Your instructions should have stated this clearly.

Your period may be starting a little early, hence the spotting now. You did raise your risk of pregnancy by missing pills like this (this is the same with any missed active pills) but it does sound like your period is on it's way.

I hope this helps!

yes, i believe you're right, today has been heavier. one last question, would it be necessary to take a test sometime then after this for cautionary measures? and if so, when exactly?

(reply to chocolate000)

Hi, chocolate,

Most home pregnancy tests are very accurate when used a couple of days after your period is late. So for you, you would need to calculate ahead to when that would have been, and test around that time. Does that make sense? (The tests look for the pregnancy hormone HCG in your urine, and it doesn't tend to show up for a couple of weeks after implantation).

Does that help? I hope so. But I'm with Susan, it sounds like you're fine.

oh and i also read that if you do miss pills, you should skip the 4th week & immediately start on the next pill pack. any input on that would be great!