There is no doubt that a clean diet and exercise are keys in healthy weight management. So why is it that many of us eat well and are active but still have difficulty in losing weight?
A few years ago, an interesting hypothesis on the present obesity epidemic emerged from the Occupational and Environmental Health Research Group at Stirling University in Scotland. The researchers pointed to evidence indicating that the body’s metabolism does not function properly in those suffering from obesity. Researchers went on to say that the current level of human exposure to synthetic organic and inorganic chemicals might be responsible for damaging many of the body’s natural weight-control mechanisms.
In a nutshell, the food additives, environmental toxins, herbicides, pesticides, medications, caffeine and household chemicals we are exposed to must be detoxified by our liver in order for our bodies to stay clean and healthy and for our metabolism to function properly.
The thousands of toxins that overwhelm our detoxification system increase our susceptibility to disease and hamper metabolism. So these toxins not only make us sick, they may in fact make us fat!
Your liver is not only the largest of the internal organs, it is your body’s premiere cleaning and removal station for both internal toxins (those produced by your own metabolism) as well as external toxins (including xenoestrogens). Many MD's believe that the liver can handle all the toxic load it is presented with and does not need to be supported in the detoxification process. However, our bodies and our liver are faced with many more toxins than they were 50 or so years ago, the liver is under more stress than ever and I do not believe it has adapted to detoxify the load it is presented with by modern lifestyle.
There are no miracles in weight loss. The best advice is to support you body in a healthy way with a clean diet and exercise. You also want to make sure that your body is functioning at optimum levels. Make sure that your hormones are balanced (including thyroid and stress hormones) and that your liver is detoxifying your body well. If you follow this advise, your metabolism and your body will balance itself and your healthy and optimum weight will be achieved.
Basics of Supporting Your Liver in Detoxification.
1. Avoid process foods and those with artificial colors, flavors, additives. Eat whole fruits, vegetables and grains. Especially those that are organic to reduce your toxic load.
2. Bitter leafy vegetables...lettuce, spinach, kale, ect....are especially detoxifiying.
3. Avoid household chemicals, pesticides and herbicides.
4. Avoid caffeine and alcohol and any kind of soda....especially "diet".
5. Drink water!
6. Start each morning by flushing out your liver. Before you eat or drink anything...have a tall glass of water with a good squeeze of lemon. It's even better if you can drink it hot, but room temperature is just fine.
7. Make sure that your bowels are moving at least 1-2 times per day....we want to make sure your body is getting rid of the toxins once your liver is clearing them.
8. Castor oil packs help the detoxification prossess...and keep the bowels movingregularly.
9. Dry skin brushing....your skin is one of the largest detoxification organs and you want to make sure that it is open and can eliminate the toxins well.
10. Multivitamin....many vitamins are essential in helping the liver detox.
11. Deep diaphragmatic breathing.
12. There are many detoxification protocols that can promote even greater liver clearing. Beware of OTC products and specific diets before consulting with your physician first.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.