Social anxiety disorder is the intense fear of social situations.
People with social anxiety disorder:
- Avoid interactions with other people
- Are extremely afraid of being judged negatively by others
- Feel humiliated, embarrassed, and inadequate more easily than others
Social anxiety may be:
- Generalized to all social interactions
- Specific to certain social situations, such as public speaking
It is much more severe than shyness. It can interfere with work, school, or other situations. It also carries physical reactions.
Physical Reactions of Anxiety
© 2009 Nucleus Medical Art, Inc.