As another Halloween approaches, we need to ask ourselves if our diets have been clean enough and have we been exercising enough to allow ourselves some Halloween treats. If you are like a majority of our population (over 60%) you are either overweight and/or obese and therefore should pass on the sweets and have a healthy treat instead. The following are some tips to help you get through Halloween without gaining any unwanted weight as well as protecting your pearly whites.
1. Buy candy you do not like. This will help you from snacking on it while you wait for the trick or treaters.
2. Do not save any candy! As the last trick or treaters come, give them more if you need to. Just get rid of it! If you don’t have it, you won’t eat it!
3. Have your favorite protein powder or a low sugar, low saturated fat protein bar, trail mix, yogurt, etc. around and snack on these sweet healthy treats instead of the candy.
4. Brush your teeth or chew sugar free gum. When you put the candy out, have some gum in your mouth or brush your teeth. Sweets aren’t as tasty when you have a nice minty taste in your mouth. Most cravings will pass after 10 minutes or so.
5. Cut carbs throughout the day. If you know you just can’t say “No”, then cut back on the amount of carbs you would have throughout the day (don’t skip a meal), and that way you’ll not be as far behind. This should be your last draw.
6. Walk it off. If you know you’re going to eat some candy, make sure you get your exercise in or at least go for a walk after you have your treats. This will help burn some of the sugars you just ate.
On average most individuals will burn 4-8 calories a minute walking. That means in order to burn off one bite size Almond Joy bar you may need to do 10-15 minutes of walking! That’s just for one bit size bar! How many individual just stop at one? So think before you have one of those or several treats. Remember your fitness goals before you start mindlessly snacking.