Studied Homeopathic Remedies
- Eupatorium perfoliatum
- Homeopathic cough syrup (Drosera, Arnica, Belladonna, Artemisia cina, Cuprum, Ferrosi phosphas, Uragoga ipecacuanha, Solidago)
- Combination Homeopathic Remedy Containing Aconitum, Bryonia, Lachesis, Eupatorium, and Phosphorus
- Individualized (Classical) Homeopathy
The common cold is an infection caused by one of thousands of related viruses, causing symptoms of sore throat, sneezing, headache, congestion, runny nose, and fatigue. These symptoms are self-limited, meaning that they will go away on their own in due time. The onset of symptoms of a common cold is often sudden and tends to resolve in 4 days to 2 weeks.
Warning: Severe sore throat can be caused by the bacteria streptococcus. “Strep throat,” as it is commonly called, can cause heart damage. Antibiotic treatment is necessary to prevent this complication.
Scientific Evaluations of Homeopathic Remedies for the Common Cold
Weak evidence suggests that homeopathic remedies might have a place in the treatment of colds. However, the best-designed studies (including one that evaluated classical homeopathy ) failed to find evidence of benefit.
The homeopathic remedy
was tested in two
A small double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 60 adults and children found positive results with a homeopathic cough syrup as a treatment for a dry cough.
A study of 53 patients compared the homeopathic remedy
D2 against aspirin as a treatment for the common cold and found them equally effective.
A double-blind study compared aspirin against a combination homeopathic medicine that included
Aconitum, Bryonia, Lachesis, Eupatorium,
A well designed, double-blind, placebo-controlled study enrolling 170 children with recurrent colds found no benefit with
A double–blind, placebo-controlled study involving 994 children (ages 4 to 15 years old) evaluated treatment with
30c for the prevention of conjunctivitis (essentially, a cold in the eye).
In a 12 week double-blind study, 251 children were given either placebo or one of three homeopathic remedies selected according to a standard Norwegian, simplified, constitutional , homeopathic protocol.
Traditional Homeopathic Treatments for the Common Cold
For example, if you are very restless and experience aches down to the bone in addition to other cold symptoms, you fit the
If you have primarily a sore throat and swollen tonsils (relieved by cold drinks, but not hot drinks) accompanied by shooting pain in the ears, aching joints, muscle soreness, restlessness, and prostration, then you more closely fit the homeopathic indication for Phytolacca .
4. Gassinger CA, G Wunstel, Netter P. A contolled clinical trial for testing the efficacy of the homeopathic drug Eupatorium perfoliatum D2 in the treatment of common cold [in German; English abstract]. Arzeimittelforschung . 1981;31:732–736.
5. Maiwald VL, Weinfurtner T, Mau J, and Connert WD. Therapy of common cold with a homeopathic combination preparation in comparison with acetylsalicylic acid. A controlled, randomized double-blind study [in German; English abstract]. Arzneimittel-Forschung . 1988;38:578–582.
7. Steinsbekk A, Bentzen N, Fonnebo V, et al. Self treatment with one of three self selected, ultramolecular homeopathic medicines for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children. A double-blind randomized placebo controlled trial. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2005;59:447-55.
Last reviewed April 2009 by EBSCO CAM Review Board
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.