Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

I have been reading all these comments on here I have had a iud in for 15 years 3 different ones and they want to take it out because im 55 i had it in because of my periods and was scared to get it out but made the call yesterday and waiting to get called back now i think im ready to get it taken out after reading all this and knowing im not alone with different symptoms

Anonymous

I have had the Mirena IUD in for a little over a year. Sex wasn’t a huge issue at first but it’s become worse. My body doesn’t respond to things it used to and I get extremely annoyed with my boyfriend when he wants to have sex. I get frustrated with myself because things aren’t ‘working right’ and it makes me feel like a disappointment. Also my boobs get really big and sore for a few weeks and then literally deflate for weeks? Weird. Morning sex is the worst because my body just doesn’t respond to anything! I want to get it out but he doesn’t want to as a precautionary. I’ve never had depression but for the first 3 months I struggled with unheard of depression and suicidal thoughts. That luckily went away. I hear all these commercials about drugs causing suicidal thoughts and you think how? But that definitely woke me up on how things can change and be out of your control. I wasn’t offered non hormonal iud and assume it’s even MORE crazy expensive as the Mirena cost me 1,800 thanks to my insurance denying me. Can’t win being a woman.

Anonymous

My wife removed Mirena today and I very much hope that at least some of the issues we faced in the 6 yrs (her 2nd) with Mirena were due to this.
The first Mirena came shortly after the birth of our 3rd child. At the time her sister got cancer, we had a 3rd baby, thereafter moved to another house... many potential reasons for her mood-swings, for her screaming at the kids for stuff that actually didn't matter anyway. Her feeling eternally tired and so on. She went to the psychiatrist (2 different ones) had an (in)-complete (no hormone levels check) check-up with the doctor and was prescribe anti-depressants. She was able to stabilize herself (got a tad esoteric in the meantime too) which was good and seemed to confirm that the stress she had was the reason. None of the doctors she saw asked about hormonal BC.
While she was able to stabilize herself the relationship did suffer. She used to have a high sex-drive. We still have sex, but it does not really feel like she'd need it. I miss the hunger she had for me earlier, I miss to feel needed in that department and we were indeed starting talks about opening our relationship due to this (I want her, but I would also like to feel desired)
Accidentally read a comment about Mirena killing someones sex drive online and started to research. What we saw feeded the suspicion that maybe, some of the issues we had in the last six years was not just due to little kids and stuff, but may have been influenced by hormones.
Now we will see how it evolves.
We love each other dearly, but I'm steadily reaching a point where I was no longer ready to live in a relationship that lacked desire. As I said, we still have great sex. Once it happens it was still great, but it only happened on my initiative and then I always had the feeling that it was more of a, how to say, unnecessary act of kindness from her part even though she was still able to climax.
Started to doubt the relationship, her, myself in various aspects (am I crazy by just imagining this all, is my drive unhealthy, does she still want to be with me or is she with me because it's more comfy than the alternative).
Now we will see how much this was influenced by Mirena.

update to the above: hardly a week later she feels hornier than anytime in the last couple of years. "It's strange, but after only a week, I feel some heat back between my legs".
So, there's hope!

Thank you for your post. My daughter is 5, almost 6 and for years I thought it was other things, stress, busy schedule, hormones associated with birth/breastfeeding, etc. but at this point, I have zero response to intimacy at all!! And now I am thinking its time to look at my kid as the culprit. I hope I have the same response your wife has had. I love my husband dearly and don't want him to live his life in neglect.

That’s good news. You are lucky and I’m jealous. It didn’t play out for me like this and we still struggle sexually. I guess it’s just a miss for us. Maybe our best days are ahead. One can hope!
Enjoy for the rest of us not connecting.

Anonymous

I've had a mirena IUD for 7 years now. My first Mirena was a bit of a rollercoaster. I bled for 3 months with constant cramping. Then it went away, along with my period. For awhile, I actually had an insanely high sex drive, which stayed with me for about 5 years -no period, no cramping, no pms, no babies, and tons of sex, the first Mirena was a miracle. When it was time to have it changed out, I got another Mirena. Ever since I've gotten the 2nd one in, I've had no sex drive. It's dual-effective, prevents implantation, but destroys all desire for sex, so it's abstinence too! WOW! (sarcastic). I used to be fun, flirty, and playful, and now thoughts of flirting and sex don't even cross my mind, and if they do, it's with a sense of disgust. Like gross, how could anyone enjoy giving a blowjob? I feel like I've become asexual, which makes it very difficult to relate to the rest of hormone-driven humanity. I don't even enjoy masturbation anymore. My pussy has become as dry and lifeless as the Sahara. It's like I'm going through menopause at 28 years old. I feel sorry for my boyfriend, who I am splitting up with, because physical intimacy has just become gross to me - he's done nothing to deserve this, and I mostly hope it hasn't damaged his self-esteem overly much. I can watch porn or "sexy" music videos, and it's like a 0, zip, nada, I may as well be watching a nature documentary because there are no sexual feelings whatsoever. Maybe it's something mental or different in me that's shifted, and it's not the IUD, but it did all begin when I got it changed out, so I'm guessing it is. I want to remove it, but I'm such a heavy bleeder when I have a period that I'm constantly anemic and sick. At this point, I'm ready to solemnly declare myself a spinster for life and I envision my future self having 10 cat children and in a loving relationship with chocolate.

Anonymous

My girlfriend and I had been dating for 2.5 years. We had a very strong bond that encompassed much more than sexuality, but sexuality was a big part, as it should be in a loving relationship. We decided the Mirena was a good call a little over a year in. Low and behold within a month or two I felt a difference in how attuned she was. Our sex was less meaningful. She started getting UTI's which were painful and played a part. We didn't talk about our lack of sex too much even though I was open and wanted to figure it out. She was muted not just during sex, but on all levels romantically. We moved in together and the problems escalated. I remember holding her was the most sexual she could be, and I didnt feel like I was holding my once loving girlfriend. I'd inquire and she would just say "I don't know". There seemed to be no good reason, until I came across all of these stories. It's been a revelation for me. Unfortunately our estrangement got too far and she is convinced this is how her heart and mind feel (she is more on the spiritual side) In some ways our breaking up is a relief because the constant neglect was a heavy burden. To all women, please consider how powerful hormones are. 560 people have opened up about their personal stories, which is unheard of. This is real. The men who love you are real. Please be in touch with your hormones and be the full women you were born to be.

I understand and feel your pain, and I'm sorry it's come to this for you and your girlfriend. I can't help but feel so incredibly annoyed though reading your last few comments. Pregnancy prevention has always been the 'responsibility' of women, despite how these fake hormones wreak havoc with our bodies, and yet, ALL pregnancies are absolutely undeniably the RESPONSIBILITY of MEN!! (The Virgin Mary aside if that's your belief) -no woman on earth can get pregnant without semen. Semen is the problem, the cause of unwanted pregnancies and the issue that should be being targeted. Yet when trials were done with male hormonal contraceptives, it was deemed too dangerous due to the havoc wreaked on the body! Yet this is the expectation placed on women, because historically we have always been 'worth less'. With comments like ''please consider how powerful hormones are'' and ''please be in touch with your hormones'' and ''be the full women you were meant to be'', - I want to scream!!! The patriarchy has never let us!!! And before anyone reading this goes ''uh-oh, crazy feminist posting'', please read this article. It's about preventing abortions, but it explains why those comments are painful, so much better than I can. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/abortion-pregnancy-pro-life_uk_5ba20e08e4b046313fc0bda5?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_cs=boRDCYFpsPkpB7WoqHDDaw
Hopefully these comments that anger and upset a part of me, (even though they are meant nicely, I know) will make you feel kind of angry too, after you reflect on this. Angry for us women, and everything we have to go through, and so not just angry that the side effects of the mirena have spoilt your relationship, but angry that ultimately it always comes down to the women, never the men and their 'irresponsible ejaculations' as explained in the article. I hope you get what I mean.
Now for those of us who are forced to put up with the same horrible side effects as part of treatment for conditions such as endometriosis as well, well, we're doubly screwed :'(

Anonymous

Hi I'm glad I came upon this article. My wife is in the same proverbial "boat" she went from wanting sex every day to not caring at all. We have been together for 4 years now, and we got married almost a year ago, It has put a strain on our relationship and let me say ,it's just not right or healthy. She keeps saying it's not you, and I feel pushed away and neglected, like she's not attracted or turned on by me anymore. I am going to show this to her and hopefully get my wife back, and our wonderful sex life.