Q: 

Anyone using the Mirena IUD have a low sex drive? Mine is almost non existant! :o(

By April 24, 2009 - 1:10pm

Anonymous

I've had a mirena IUD for 7 years now. My first Mirena was a bit of a rollercoaster. I bled for 3 months with constant cramping. Then it went away, along with my period. For awhile, I actually had an insanely high sex drive, which stayed with me for about 5 years -no period, no cramping, no pms, no babies, and tons of sex, the first Mirena was a miracle. When it was time to have it changed out, I got another Mirena. Ever since I've gotten the 2nd one in, I've had no sex drive. It's dual-effective, prevents implantation, but destroys all desire for sex, so it's abstinence too! WOW! (sarcastic). I used to be fun, flirty, and playful, and now thoughts of flirting and sex don't even cross my mind, and if they do, it's with a sense of disgust. Like gross, how could anyone enjoy giving a blowjob? I feel like I've become asexual, which makes it very difficult to relate to the rest of hormone-driven humanity. I don't even enjoy masturbation anymore. My pussy has become as dry and lifeless as the Sahara. It's like I'm going through menopause at 28 years old. I feel sorry for my boyfriend, who I am splitting up with, because physical intimacy has just become gross to me - he's done nothing to deserve this, and I mostly hope it hasn't damaged his self-esteem overly much. I can watch porn or "sexy" music videos, and it's like a 0, zip, nada, I may as well be watching a nature documentary because there are no sexual feelings whatsoever. Maybe it's something mental or different in me that's shifted, and it's not the IUD, but it did all begin when I got it changed out, so I'm guessing it is. I want to remove it, but I'm such a heavy bleeder when I have a period that I'm constantly anemic and sick. At this point, I'm ready to solemnly declare myself a spinster for life and I envision my future self having 10 cat children and in a loving relationship with chocolate.

Anonymous

My girlfriend and I had been dating for 2.5 years. We had a very strong bond that encompassed much more than sexuality, but sexuality was a big part, as it should be in a loving relationship. We decided the Mirena was a good call a little over a year in. Low and behold within a month or two I felt a difference in how attuned she was. Our sex was less meaningful. She started getting UTI's which were painful and played a part. We didn't talk about our lack of sex too much even though I was open and wanted to figure it out. She was muted not just during sex, but on all levels romantically. We moved in together and the problems escalated. I remember holding her was the most sexual she could be, and I didnt feel like I was holding my once loving girlfriend. I'd inquire and she would just say "I don't know". There seemed to be no good reason, until I came across all of these stories. It's been a revelation for me. Unfortunately our estrangement got too far and she is convinced this is how her heart and mind feel (she is more on the spiritual side) In some ways our breaking up is a relief because the constant neglect was a heavy burden. To all women, please consider how powerful hormones are. 560 people have opened up about their personal stories, which is unheard of. This is real. The men who love you are real. Please be in touch with your hormones and be the full women you were born to be.

Anonymous

Hi I'm glad I came upon this article. My wife is in the same proverbial "boat" she went from wanting sex every day to not caring at all. We have been together for 4 years now, and we got married almost a year ago, It has put a strain on our relationship and let me say ,it's just not right or healthy. She keeps saying it's not you, and I feel pushed away and neglected, like she's not attracted or turned on by me anymore. I am going to show this to her and hopefully get my wife back, and our wonderful sex life.

Anonymous

Thank you all for sharing your stories!!! I have been suffering from having no sex drive as well. My boyfriend and I have been together for two years now and sex has been our number one argument. I kept thinking that it was only me going through this, but reading all these stories lets me know I am not alone. I am making a Doctors appointment next week to have the IUD removed and hopefully it will give my back the sex drive that I used to have.

This is crazy to know that I am not the only person who this has happened to because I had the Mirena placed back in March/ April of 2014 & removed in October of 2015 & just like you me & my boyfriend have fights about sex alll the time. I am just not there anymore...... this is crazy and needs to be fixed but how??

Omg I am so happy I have come across this too. My partner of 5 years and father of our two children has even moved into his family home because I’m just not interested in any form of affection. I want it but when I get it I don’t, & then when he doesn’t give it or try I’m a mess and sad

Anonymous

I just got my mirena removed after having it for three years. I started becoming so wary of sexual encounters with my boyfriend who I started dating right after getting it in. I would want to have sex, and then once it was happening it was over and I'd almost feel disgusted at the event. I couldn't release myself, so I'd feel resentment at the injustice! All the sudden my body started telling me get this plastic chemical thing out! And I did it on a whim. My period came back for the first time in 3 years. Suddenly I felt really bad about how cold I'd been to my love. We were almost going to break up because I just couldn't feel any love anymore. Now my motherly instincts are coming back and I really love him more than ever! And love being close to him again.

(reply to Anonymous)

How long did it take to get your sex drive back after getting it removed? And did you stay off all birth controls?

Anonymous

Wow thank you ladies for telling all your stores. I'm a man that's 31 been with my wife for 17yrs. We have four beautiful kids. Well I come to notice that her sex drive was just not there. So we talk- and I ask her (so do you just care not to have sex) And that when she hit me with she just really have no sex drive and she keep telling me it's not becouse of me. It her iud and she can't stand it. But so on so on. Thank you again for haveing this page.

A LOT OF People are starting to realize this man. It sucks because you assume its your fault most of the time. Or your partner isnt interested anymore.