Bedroom is warm yet I freeze.

By Anonymous December 18, 2013 - 8:42am

My wife (83) has increacingly been suffering from freezing in bed at night, even with a very good down duvet and a woolen blanket, tucking herself in as best she can almost like a mummy. Still she may wake up in the morning all wet on her head and in the hair. It has become a big problem to us.

I sleep all naked, with only a duvet cover, with a thin duvet from chest to feet.
Just watched Hot Flash Havoc that alerted me to this site.

I'll have to study your answer, but she has a problem with white fingers! At the grocey dept of a shopping mall we sometimes visit she just a couple of days ago had to leave before me, her finges were quite cold and white. The temp there didn't bother me, but the store is full of cooling and freezing gondolas. So that's a problem she sometimes complain about.

Must correct the size of her water bottle, it is about 0.35 liter...

Hi Rolf!

Why not have her hormones tested?

At 83, hormones aren't usually an issue but that doesn't mean to say she doesn't have something going on in that department.

If you like sharing a bed with your wife, then having to move to the spare room isn't a great idea.

Now that I know a bit more -

Have her thyroid checked - an under-active thyroid can cause a person to be cold. So can being low in iron or being really thin.

One other thing that struck me was that she could possibly have Renaud's Phenomenon  - a article on it was just written recently here on EmpowHER and I remembered it due to the "cold fingers" title! While it does affect hands and feet primarily, it can get the body cold too. Sometimes it's also an indicator of an auto-immunne disorder like Lupus. You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/autoimmune-disorders/content/cold-fingers-could-...

Having her get blood tests to check for auto-immune conditions might be well worth it.

Something to think about!

I have a lot of questions for you !

If your wife warm during the evenings in general or only when she goes to bed?

How long has this been going on?

It doesn't sound like she's having hot flashes - it sounds like she is cold getting into bed and then sweating because of the amount and thickness of the blankets she's wearing.

Sleeping in a cooler room is better for us but she may want to consider getting an electric sleeping blanket that will maintain a consistent warm (not too warm and not hot!) to maintain a regular amount of heat during the night. Most people, even in winter, will sweat a lot in bed if there are too many blankets. 

Does she awake at night or sleep through?

We hope to hear back from you!

Hi Susan, than you for your reply!
During daytime she is quite 'normal'. Maybe likes it a little warmer than me, but during daily 'chores' she seem to prefer a lower temperature than me, she opens windows to let fresh air in and I usually flee to my 'den' until she is finished.

The problem has been developing over maybe twenty years, I remember around 10 years ago buying her an expensive Siberian goose down duvet that I was hoping would help.

With closed windows (we used to sleep with an open window in the old days) - and back then the bedroom used to be cold when we went to bed. The beds were cold and I used to pull my duvet over my head, assume fetal position, using my hands to warm up my two cold feet until I felt comfortable enough to relax and fall asleep.

But in our new house with so called 'balanced ventilation" the temperature doesn't vary much and we keep the door to the living room ajar. The heating is set at 22°C. There is no heating in the bedroom but the modern house is well insulated.

It seems she isn't sweating during the night. But while she feels cold she sometimes complain about being wet in her hair in the morning. That happens mostly when the outdoor temp at night has been some 5 -10 degrees below and I have allowed the indoor temp to drop a couple of degrees below the usual.

She may sleep through sometimes but she is an extremely light sleeper. Almost any sound I make may wake her up and most of the time I can't get up without awakening her.

I''ve been thinking about an electric blanket but so far I have aboided talking about that. She tend to be sceptical about so may things so I hope that won't be neccesary.

But since I sleep best with very little cover in the night - and since I feel comfortable almost from the first seconds in bed, the temperature should be at a level most people should have no problems with.

But my wife is special in so many ways, and I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is unknown in medical history.

Could the problem have something with hormones to do? That's the best guess I can come up with.

A spare bedroom that I could use might solve the problem as far as I am concerned, I like sleeping in a cold bedroom and tuck myself nicely in with a soft duvet - my body heat takes care of me.

I can't think of anything more that might lead us to a 'diagnosis'.

But she drinks a lot of water. She drinks much more water than me during daytime and takes a 3/4 liter bottle of water with her to bed.

I wonder if she may have a strange or peculiar metabolism. Hypothyreosis was diagnosed maybe 20 years ago but thyroxine pills keeps it at bay so I don't think that should be the problem. She is seeing her doctor every year to have blood samples taken for the most common tests.

But anyway, thanks for trying!

Rolf Aalberg, Norway