Been feeling ill for appx 3 mos now, had lab work done and pregnancy test. Not pregnant and per Dr labs are normal.

Hi there, I am a working professional that has to work night shifts. For the past three months I have been struggling with extreme nausea, fatigue and dizziness. I have been seen by my primary, who did the "normal" work up with no abnormal findings. I am also not pregnant. I am concerned because this is now affecting my work. I am a paramedic and now am struggling with the ability to focus/multitask. This places myself and my patients at risk. I can't continue to call in sick and really want to feel better. I would love to be pointed in the right direction, so I can feel better and be functional again.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, I have suffered from chronic nausea for three months now (just like you, ironically) but it's pre-menstrual nausea and I have been given anti-nausea medications. My week long nausea stops me from working out or doing anything other than what I absolutely have to, I know how awful it is. Do you notice a pattern in your nausea based on your cycle or is it all the time?

From our Nausea page:

Nausea can be caused by many factors, including stomach flu, viral infections of the inner ear (labyrinthitis), motion sickness, pregnancy, and chemotherapy . If you are continually nauseous, it can be more disabling than chronic pain. Successful treatment can make an enormous difference in your quality of life.

The sensation of nausea can originate in either the nervous system or the digestive tract itself. Most conventional treatments for nausea, such as Dramamine and Compazine, act on the nervous system, but products like Pepto-Bismol soothe the digestive tract directly.

Principal Proposed Natural Treatments
The herb ginger has become a widely accepted treatment for nausea of various types. Vitamin B 6 may be helpful for the nausea of pregnancy.
You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/nausea

Anon, is it possible that you could have been exposed to some kind of toxin, either at home or in the course of your work? Also, nausea can be causes by gall bladder distress, ulcers, emotional distress and more. Is nausea your one and only symptom?

We hope to talk to you more!

Thank you for your prompt response! I haven't noticed a trend in the nausea, but will definately keep better track of it now. I don't think it is premenstrual, as this last bout was during my period. The nausea is combined with dizziness and also fatigue, I can sleep for 10 hours and still wake up exhausted. We just purchased a new mattress and I am eagerly awaiting its delivery in hopes that it will improve my sleep. The primary care physician I see states this all stems from the fact that I work night shifts, however I have been a shift worker for a long time, and it has never been an issue.
I love to work out and have not been able to due to the lack of energy, which makes me feel even more sluggish. I think I could handle the nausea, if it was the only symptom. Couple it with dizziness and fatigue, and I just can't do much of anything. As to being exposed to a toxin, I am sure it is possible, but I would really have no idea to what and when, it has been going on for so long now. Usually if firstresponders are exposed to something in the field, the hospital notifies our supervisors to get us in for proper treatments. Thanks again for your help with this matter, just knowing someone out there has gone through what I am experiencing makes it easier to handle!

Hi again Anon

I do think it's a good idea to track your nausea, just to see if it's linked.

Take an iron supplement to make sure you're not anemic (dizziness).

I still think a toxin is possible but agree that you may never know, especially based on your line of work. As first responder, by definition, has no warning of what's ahead.

Also, read here about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (as a possible cause) : http://www.empowher.com/condition/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Have you had blood work done, Anon?

Hi again,
I will definately track the nausea, and have looked into chronic fatigue as many of the symptoms fit what is going on. As far as blood work, I have had labs drawn 3 times since this started. The normal panel, thyroid and Vit D. All came back within normal limits so, as far as bloodwork is concerned I am healthy :) Thank you for the support and input, I will let you know if anything else pops up!