Can I get HIV via smoking a cigarette from a stranger

By Anonymous January 19, 2011 - 9:33am

A few days ago, some stranger handed me a cigarette, I didn't think that much so I smoked it immediately. It was very dark at that time, i didn't give a good look on that cigarette. Am i at risk of being infected of HIV from that cigarette, is there anyway that the virus could be put in the cigarette or he intentionally left his blood or body fluids on the cigarette that could cause the infection. I know this sounds totally paronoid, but i just cant get over the fear, is it possible that the virus could be still alive and infectous in the cigarette while i am smoking it or there is absolutely no possibility.hope someone could give me an answer!

Thanks for your question! It's not a silly one because accepting a cigarette could be risky (you never know what someone might put into it) and there are enough killer agents in cigarettes as it is! HIV is no longer an automatic death sentence but chronic smoking often is.

Technically one could put the HIV virus into a cigarette (via body fluids) but since one smokes a cigarette and the virus would have to be live (as in, placed right before you smoke it) the likelihood of actually contracting the disease would be close to zero because the flame would kill it. You'd have to check with an infection control specialist for a definitive answer. You would also have to pick a very evil, psychopathic human being to bum a cigarette from so the odds are in your favor.

The better option is to only smoke your own cigarettes. The best option is to quit!