can i go to a ob/gyn by myself if im not 18?

By May 2, 2011 - 11:21am

well i just want to go get things checked out im only 17 im sexually active so it just seems like the right thing to do the only thing is my mom and i dont have a close relationship she has no idea about my sex life and i dont plan to talk to her about it could i go see the docs myself or do i need a parent? if i go alone what do i tell the ob/gyn im making a appointment for?

i have my first ob/gyn oppitment tomorrow and i just want to know if i can go by my self because i dont want my mom to be in the room while i am getting my private parts looked at is it possible for me to go by myself because i am only 17

Hi A non

You have every right to have your mom stay away. You can request your mother drop you off or you can drive yourself. Your privacy should be respected.

Hi I'm 17 years old and pretty positive I'm pregnant but had several different negative and positive tests. I'm on the deppo shot but the things I'm feeling is everything I've looked up for early pregnancy. My parents don't know and I don't want them to come with me. I don't have any way to get my insurance card but I wanna make sure its safe (if I really am pregnant that is) and also if I'm safe. I live in Louisiana and I heard about free clinics I could go to but not sure what to do. I have an ID but that's it. I'm scared but I need to know the best options I'd have. If anyone can help me please comment. If I'm pregnant they'd really have no choice to take me in right ? Please help me. Thank you.

The depo shot can make you feel like that sometimes, like you're pregnant and can give you mood swings and all that stuff. But if you're using the shot correctly you should be fine. It has a 99% success rate. But if you're really that worried it doesn't hurt to check.

Im 17 and pregnant can i go to my first obgyn alone without my mom?

Hi shelby_15,
I didn't have a very good relationship with my mom either when I was your age so I know where you are coming from. I would encourage you to talk to her about it, but if you can't can you talk to your dad? If you can't take to either one about this, you might try calling Planned Parenthood see if they can help you out. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself and trying to do the right thing for you.

if i was to just tell my mom im going is there something i can tell her so she wont think im sexually active?

HERWriter Guide (reply to shelby_15)

Hi shelby

I know it's hard to talk about these things with parents but at the same time, we can't suggest things to say to her that are not true.

You can be perfectly truthful and tell her that since you are now 17 - nearly a legal adult - you think it's time to get a full check up from an OB/GYN rather than a pediatrician. This is not an untruth, it's something that most doctors would recommend at your age anyway.

If she asks you if you are having sex (and you want to keep that private), you can truthfully tell her that you don't want to talk about things like that!

Hi shelby_15

Thanks for your post and for being responsible for your health!

At 17, I was living on my own so I had no need to call a parent. Some doctors have their own policies regarding this but call your doctor to find out hers - I really don't think there should be a problem with going on your own and you certainly have the right to privacy - again, check policies.

You can also attend a clinic on your own too.

For insurance purposes, you will have to inform your parents (they'll find out anyway) so be prepared to pay cash if you want privacy. A clinic is often cheaper but ask what a checkup will cost.

All you need to tell them is that you have not seen an OB/GYN before and you'll like a checkup. They may has you if there is anything in particular you wish to talk about and if there is, you can tell them or you can just say that you are sexually active and are requesting a checkup. This is very common (they get calls like this every day) and they'll probably do a check up (including a pap since you are sexually active) and talk to you about your general health, including birth control options. Don't feel shy or embarrassed - you are a patient just like anyone else!

Good luck and let us know how things go!