Can Lupus cause Tachycardia

By Anonymous April 6, 2010 - 1:56pm

I was diagnosed with SLE about 1 yr ago. I also suffer from Chronic P.E.and fibromyalgia. I have many health problems that have been related to me having SLE. I am recently noticing a high heart rate of 120-122, shortness of breath and chest pain have been a problem for several months. Should I be concerned about the heart rate at rest of 120-122?

Anon - The Lupus Foundation provides a lot of information and support services. The page on how Lupus affects the body is especially helpful, and includes specific information on the cardiopulmonary system:

I'd like to echo Susan's comments that it's good you're seeking information and solutions, and hope you find this helpful. Take care, Pat

Dear Anon

Your question is a great one. Lupus may indeed be connected to tachycardia.

Symptoms of Lupus include:

Hair loss
Chest pain, coughing up blood, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing
Kidney inflammation
High blood pressure
Anemia or other blood disorders
Sensitivity to sunlight
Raynaud's phenomenon
Ulcers in nose or mouth
Swollen glands
Inflamed heart, heart vessels, or membrane surrounding the heart
Blood clots

Read more on our Lupus page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/systemic-lupus-erythematosus#definition

As you can read above, many of your heart symptoms are also symptoms of Lupus. A resting heartbeat of 120 is definitely higher than average (average is about 70-100 beats per minute),but is not at a dangerous number yet. Even if rapid heart beats are seen in persons with lupus, it's certainly worth mentioning to your doctor. Since you are also experiencing chest pain, I would put a call in immediately.

You can read more on our Tachycardia page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/tachycardia#definition

We wish you the very best - you're going through a hard time with your health right now and we hope you can at least manage the conditions you've living with. I'm really glad to see you asking questions and looking into solutions.

Can you let us know of updates, after you get this seen to?