could i have a hormonal inbalance at 23

hi, im kinda scared right now, cus i do want kids within the next years.
but i was on a med 'resperdal' since 2001 and stopped it in 2010 cus to come to find out it was causing prolactin =/ and i got blood work and it showed up as out of my system in 2011 jan. ive always had irregualr/lighter periods for years now, even after my prolactin showed up as out of my system! its now june and i had severe breast pain, swollen, nipples enlarged.. i called doc and they said it could be a hormone issus but i was only 23 so they werent too worried. i did have a ultra sound in 2009 or 2010 i cant remember wich when i was having painful intercourse due to prolacticn when they didnt know what it was at first. it did show i had eggs supply n stuff that was supposed to be there and its only been a lil while since that.. but im now having HEAVY period wich i know my body and isnt normal for me and my breats got un'usually swollen before then!

any idea u can give me to atleast google to figure out what could be goin on? does this sound like early menapuase?

Hi Anonymous

Thanks for finding EmpowHER!

The immediate answer is that yes, you could have a hormonal problem at age 23. Once a girl starts puberty, it's possible for things to start going wrong (worst case scenario, of course).

I'm glad you called your doctor about it but am a bit concerned (especially with your history) that they dismissed it because you are only 23. Granted, you are young and many women are waiting much longer to have children but the average age of a woman in America (if you are in America!) having her first child is about 25, you're not too far from there so they should be taking this a bit more seriously. In fact, regardless of whether you want a baby or not, you should be seen due to these kinds of symptoms.

Please call your doctor's office and schedule an appointment and tel them your symptoms and that you need to be seen as soon as possible. And make a list of what's going on so that you are well-prepared.

Will you let us know how things go?

to be honest, ive questioned my gyno before!
shes a good dr overall, but im worried she may be mainly good with pregnant women, pap smears etc..
cus ive came to her before about intercourse bein painful years back and she just kept giving me a pap smear and ultra sound, but everything came back normal. she said everything should be fine! but i kept coming back with same problems as before. then the med i was on risperdal for yearss to come to find out was makin prolactin and making women problems for me =/ this is probably why i never became pregnant even though was never trying ukno? so my concern is after soo many years of being exposed to prolactin am i at risk for early menapuase? or other health issues.. ?
im considering lookin into other gynos? kinda scared though cus im most comfortable, but same time she doesnt seem UP maybe on stuff she could be, like she said it could be 'endametrious' i think thats how u spell it? but i did stress to her that my period arent heavy/painful, if anything too light! i did have a blood work done recently for dizzyness at primary and they said the levels came back normal, my thyriod was fine but my patassuim was slightly low but nothing too bad. i do want kids and agree with u how they should be takin extra attention where im close to this age! this is a top dream of mines and will be heart broken if i was to have early-menapause or anything that could stop me from kids :/ thanks for writing me back, and i did call drs today and will tomorow cus i want atleast blood work done even if she cant see me rigth away! they wanna do breast exam i guess?
do u think i should look for second opinon btw?

Hi again!

I really can't say whether you'd be at risk for menopause but 23 would be incredibly young. Ask for a full hormonal checkup and yes, I really do think that a second opinion is a good idea.

What you doctor was talking about was Endometriosis and you can read all about that here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/endometriosis

Let me know what you think!