cryosurgery of the cervix

By September 18, 2016 - 7:59pm

Hello I had this surgery performed due to an abnormal pap result and biospy saying i had CIN1.

It is day three and I am experiencing horrible watery discharge almost as much as peeing myself and it has now turned into a foul odor, i'm changing pads constantly. when does this let up and when can i expect some relief this is really affecting my quality of sleep and life. please help, anyone else have any experiences with this? thank you.

Hi Problmatic

Cervical cryosurgery is the use of extreme cold to freeze areas of the cervix. The cervix is the lower portion of the uterus (womb) that is located in the back of the vagina.

This procedure is done to kill and remove abnormal cells of the cervix, particularly precancerous cells.

Anon, since you are experiencing a foul smell, this could indicate an infection so please put a call into your doctor.

In general, now that you are home, wear a sanitary pad to absorb the watery discharge that normally occurs for several weeks following cryosurgery.

If needed, take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to treat discomfort for a day or two after the procedure.

Do not use tampons or douches. Do not have sexual intercourse for 4-6 weeks after cryosurgery.

Your doctor will schedule regular pap smears in the near future.
Baths and showers are OK.

The abnormal tissue of the cervix should shed and flow out of the body in a watery vaginal discharge over 4-6 weeks. In some cases, more than one cryosurgery session may be scheduled.

I hope you feel better soon, please call your doctor asap regarding your discharge, it should not be fowl-smelling.