Depressionor just getting older?

By November 2, 2011 - 12:09pm

I am 56 years old have been diagnosed with depression am on wellbutrin but lately I am having trouble with my focus and concentration also have no energy to do anything should I go back to my Dr. and get him to increase it or change it? I have been on it for 1 year.

Hi Debjar

You are only 56 so feeling like this has nothing to do with aging - which is good news!

I do think it's a good idea to go back to your doctor to see why your medication isn't working and to see what can be done or changed.

I also think it's really important to get into talk therapy. Medication only helps numb your symptoms and while they can make you feel better, they are powerless in changing what is causing your depression. So as soon as the meds stop working, your depression starts again because nothing else in your life has changed. Talk therapy and even group therapy can really change your life. So can exercise, volunteerism and work. So I really do encourage you to make some life changes, as well as talk to your doctor about your medications.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

Depression Guide