Wellness

ask: Do I need to see a Chiropractor?

By Rachel127

Hi guys!

I recently discussed my concerns regarding the possibility of a kidney problem as a result of the ongoing pains I’ve experienced over years/months. Aches in both sides of my pelvis and both sides of my mid to upper back. Well to cut a LONG story short, after seeing a Urogynaecologist today (29/01/13), he more or less stated in no uncertain terms that I did not have a kidney problem in the slightest... he based this on 2 ultrasounds I've had done in the past which came back normal. He more or less blatantly refused to do anything for me, but I managed to get him to order a kidney function blood test. I also have 125+ Leukocytes in my urine as of today, which again the Urogynaecologist doesn't seem to think is anything (despite overcoming a kidney infection in December 2012) but yet again I somehow managed to convince him to send it off for a urine culture. Honestly it was like getting blood out of a stone. Actually that would be a lot easier!

My concern is in reference to the bilateral upper (thoracic) back pain / shoulder and arm pain I’m currently experiencing on a daily basis. I cannot lie on my left side whatsoever and only temporarily on the right. It feels like a constant heavy dull ache in all areas, and sometimes the pain can just hit me like a shockwave in the mid to upper back (again both sides).

For this reason after pretty much cancelling out the possibility of a kidney problem based on an ultrasound (because obviously there the be all and end all) do you think it could well be a problem with my spine or something? Maybe I should go back to my GP (again) and somehow convince him to refer me to a back specialist... Please somebody help!

Thankyou

Rachel127

Hi Susan,

Thanks for replying. I think I will definately pursue the possibility of a spinal/back problem. I'm just not sure what sort of specialist to prompt the doctor with, is it more of an orthopedist?

One other thing, do you think tingling sensations (pins and needles) in my back, particularly around the areas I feel pain could also be a sign of a spinal/back problem? (maybe a blessing in disguise).

Thankyou again!

Hi Rachel!

Sorry to read you are in so much pain.

If your doctor has tested you and is convinced your kidney's are fine, then let's go with that for now.

You may have spinal issues, or hip issues. Pain can radiate out to other areas of the body. I'm not sure seeing a chiropractor right now is the best thing but it certainly can't hurt. However, if you are at the point where your pain is stopping you from lying on each side, then I think asking to see a different doctor with more testing is a good idea.

Ask your PCP who she would recommend. With pain on both sides, there are too many variables to contemplate what it could be.

Please keep us posted.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: