Do I take Magnesium in the am or pm??

By February 28, 2009 - 10:04pm

I've heard two different opinions on this and I'm wondering what the EmpowHer answer is.... I recently started taking a magnesium supplement (400mg) after the recommendation of our wondrous Coach Virginia due to my RLS issue. And I'm curious to know what time of the day would be most advantageous for me to take it, as far as absorption is concerned, so that I get the most benefit from it. I currently take Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, first thing in the morning due to my GERD. I don't know if this would have any affect on how a supplement is absorbed. In the evening at bedtime, I take Yaz birth control pill. Those are the only meds I take and I take no other supplements. Thanks for any input you might have!

Anonymous

The Progressive doctor gave me a powder magnesium to take before going to bed but it will give me a huge headache, he says he has no idea why, but obviously i did not take it anymore, so he then gave me pills 375mg each day, but reading and researching i found out i can do more and be better. Most doctors want to keep you sick as much as they can, is business. So i also read if you take potassium which is the real lack of, for which your blood pressure raises. Taking 800mg to 1000 mg of magnesium each day and 66mg of potassium. Left medication. My general doctor is puzzled and cannot explain how my blood pressure is normal if i am not taking the medication anymore, i did not tell him i was taking magnesium and potassium. See instead of them telling you about this and giving you advises on diet to solve the problem, they want you sick because we are their cows. Is hard to find an honest doctor these days.

Anonymous

Transdermal magnesium is the safest form of Magnesium supplementation. Evening/Night before bed is best. It provides for a better nights sleep by relaxing the muscles, helping to regulate blood Sugar & a number of other metabolic processes in the body (about 380). Also, a transdermal application immediately stops the experience of RLS & muscle cramps. It also helps with muscle soreness & chronic muscle pain. "Oral" supplementation of Magnesium requires caution due concerns of true bioavailability & should be limited to about 350 mg per day, however, this issue is not a concern with transdermal. Ever sense I began using Ancient Minerals Magnesium, my RLS & night cramps are gone! And my pre-diabetic fasting numbers are normal. It's a Godsend.

Anonymous

Kristin I have heard that the best time to take magnesium in at the evening, because it relaxes muscles and help for sleep, I read too that it is not recommended to take more than 350 mg of mg as a supplement , personally, I take 200 mg and the rest I get it from food. good luck

Anonymous

Supplements should not be taken within the same two hours of medication. I'm a real big believer in Magnesium. I'm taking this one http://www.amztk.com/magnesium-citrate and I'm seeing amazing results. This has really helped me tons with so many different issues and whoever I recommended this to has not been let down.

The question is WHEN do you take the suppiment...AM or PM?

Do you mind sharing what it has helped u with?

Much appreciated!

JB

Anonymous

I have RLS and take magnesium by nature made 250mg every NIGHT. RLS creeps up more at night so it's best to take at night before bedtime. Plus you will get a better night sleep. Avoid magnesium oxide as it is not well absorbed. Good luck. But take continuously and you will see the amazing results. You'll poop better too!!

Anonymous

Please help, i take multi-vit., COQ10 100mg, Magnesuin 200mg, 81mg asprin, Metformin for Pre-diabeties and Amlodipine for high blood pressure and i have problems sleeping at night...never get sleepy...HELP! I told my Doctor about it and he told me to take Melatonin 0.3mg in which i am afraid to take because a Dr. at the GYM told me that it causes Suicidal thoughts????? HELP!! also tried Cherry Juice didn't work......

(reply to Anonymous)

I have taken Melatonin many times and have no idea why that would be said. I never had an issue like that. I did not take high doses at all you don't need to. Take it 30 minutes before you would like to sleep and all it did was that (make me sleep) and it was a good nights rest. I use to fight insomnia, worked like a champ. I still have issues once in a while with insomnia so thank you for mentioning melatonin I guess I had not though about it in a long time so I believe I will order that just in case. What I did like is I had no side effects at all such as a sleeping pill, they make me groggy in the morning and I had issues waking up. I can tell you I suggested it to my brother in law and he became out of hand on it, I have no idea its not addicting at all, he started on a normal (one pill) but continued to up the dose, he became very ill and had terrible issues, I wish I could remember what it was to tell you but it turned out to be that he was taking way to much. It was nothing serious but at the time the doctor could not figure out what was going on so please just take the recommended dose LOL.

Hi there. I'm a RN. I can tell you first and foremost I take melatonin 9 mg at night. That is the highest dose. Melatonin basically regulates a hormone that is already in your body. Sometimes your body needs a little boost in order to set your clock right. So it will help you sleep. Suicidal thoughts are not happening because this is only a hormone that you already have. I hope that helps and I hope that makes sense.

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide