Do I take Magnesium in the am or pm??

By February 28, 2009 - 10:04pm

I've heard two different opinions on this and I'm wondering what the EmpowHer answer is.... I recently started taking a magnesium supplement (400mg) after the recommendation of our wondrous Coach Virginia due to my RLS issue. And I'm curious to know what time of the day would be most advantageous for me to take it, as far as absorption is concerned, so that I get the most benefit from it. I currently take Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, first thing in the morning due to my GERD. I don't know if this would have any affect on how a supplement is absorbed. In the evening at bedtime, I take Yaz birth control pill. Those are the only meds I take and I take no other supplements. Thanks for any input you might have!

Anonymous

Transdermal magnesium is the safest form of Magnesium supplementation. Evening/Night before bed is best. It provides for a better nights sleep by relaxing the muscles, helping to regulate blood Sugar & a number of other metabolic processes in the body (about 380). Also, a transdermal application immediately stops the experience of RLS & muscle cramps. It also helps with muscle soreness & chronic muscle pain. "Oral" supplementation of Magnesium requires caution due concerns of true bioavailability & should be limited to about 350 mg per day, however, this issue is not a concern with transdermal. Ever sense I began using Ancient Minerals Magnesium, my RLS & night cramps are gone! And my pre-diabetic fasting numbers are normal. It's a Godsend.

Anonymous

Kristin I have heard that the best time to take magnesium in at the evening, because it relaxes muscles and help for sleep, I read too that it is not recommended to take more than 350 mg of mg as a supplement , personally, I take 200 mg and the rest I get it from food. good luck

Anonymous

Supplements should not be taken within the same two hours of medication. I'm a real big believer in Magnesium. I'm taking this one http://www.amztk.com/magnesium-citrate and I'm seeing amazing results. This has really helped me tons with so many different issues and whoever I recommended this to has not been let down.

The question is WHEN do you take the suppiment...AM or PM?

Do you mind sharing what it has helped u with?

Much appreciated!

JB

Anonymous

I have RLS and take magnesium by nature made 250mg every NIGHT. RLS creeps up more at night so it's best to take at night before bedtime. Plus you will get a better night sleep. Avoid magnesium oxide as it is not well absorbed. Good luck. But take continuously and you will see the amazing results. You'll poop better too!!

Anonymous

Please help, i take multi-vit., COQ10 100mg, Magnesuin 200mg, 81mg asprin, Metformin for Pre-diabeties and Amlodipine for high blood pressure and i have problems sleeping at night...never get sleepy...HELP! I told my Doctor about it and he told me to take Melatonin 0.3mg in which i am afraid to take because a Dr. at the GYM told me that it causes Suicidal thoughts????? HELP!! also tried Cherry Juice didn't work......

Hi there. I'm a RN. I can tell you first and foremost I take melatonin 9 mg at night. That is the highest dose. Melatonin basically regulates a hormone that is already in your body. Sometimes your body needs a little boost in order to set your clock right. So it will help you sleep. Suicidal thoughts are not happening because this is only a hormone that you already have. I hope that helps and I hope that makes sense.

I have heard when taking vitamin D3 in the evening will disturb the sleep, if you are taking it in the evening try to take it in the morning. There are many natural remedies for sleep, Camomile tea. Valeria 30 minutes before bed time. check with your Dr before taking those things I just mentioned , they may interfere with you medications. Good luck/

I was having lots of problems with lack of sleep . After a bad side effect form levofloxin . Linden tea help me plus cherry tart . My reflux and stomach problems i fix with raw red cabagge juice . Dgl licorice and d limonene . Dont eat 3 hours befkre bed . I get some stomach problems if i eat. Chocolate or pizza other than ghat i eat everything . Low on red meats . Marshmellow root heal your guts . This work for me .do your onw research im not a doctor i cant tell you what to do god bless you

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide