ask: Do I take Magnesium in the am or pm??

I've heard two different opinions on this and I'm wondering what the EmpowHer answer is.... I recently started taking a magnesium supplement (400mg) after the recommendation of our wondrous Coach Virginia due to my RLS issue. And I'm curious to know what time of the day would be most advantageous for me to take it, as far as absorption is concerned, so that I get the most benefit from it. I currently take Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, first thing in the morning due to my GERD. I don't know if this would have any affect on how a supplement is absorbed. In the evening at bedtime, I take Yaz birth control pill. Those are the only meds I take and I take no other supplements. Thanks for any input you might have!

Anonymous

Please help, i take multi-vit., COQ10 100mg, Magnesuin 200mg, 81mg asprin, Metformin for Pre-diabeties and Amlodipine for high blood pressure and i have problems sleeping at night...never get sleepy...HELP! I told my Doctor about it and he told me to take Melatonin 0.3mg in which i am afraid to take because a Dr. at the GYM told me that it causes Suicidal thoughts????? HELP!! also tried Cherry Juice didn't work......

I was having lots of problems with lack of sleep . After a bad side effect form levofloxin . Linden tea help me plus cherry tart . My reflux and stomach problems i fix with raw red cabagge juice . Dgl licorice and d limonene . Dont eat 3 hours befkre bed . I get some stomach problems if i eat. Chocolate or pizza other than ghat i eat everything . Low on red meats . Marshmellow root heal your guts . This work for me .do your onw research im not a doctor i cant tell you what to do god bless you

Calm down!! Don't listen to anybody at the gym on medical advice and melatonin is a hormone already in your body and that is such a low dose.-- No. If you are concerned, call any Cvs in your area, ask for the pharmacist, and ask if that is a likely side effect.

I highly HIGHLY doubt that it would be an OVER THE COUNTER medication (MELATONIN) would be allowed to be on the shelves if it were dangerous.

I take melatonin for sleep. It's the best thing / most natural thing. RECOMMENDED BY MY TOP OF THE LINE DOCTORS! Look, if you have those thoughts, take notice, and stop taking it.

Many things have side effects. In fact, everything does. Flipping out bc a lot of them sound or are scary isn't worth it. No doctor worth his salt would have told you that.

Anonymous

I started taking magnesium a few months back and i notice if i take them at night (bed time) it keeps me awake, but when i take them around 10am with my breakfast and find out that i sleep much better at might...

Anonymous

I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and my health food nutritionist recommended that I take magnesium 1 hour before dinner at 4pm. Prior to his advice, I took the magnesium at bedtime and couldn't sleep. Please ask your health practitioner or health food nutritionist and mention your health history.

Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter
I take my Twin Labs 400mg of Magnesium every night ever since my hormone specialist told me to for my bowel regulation as well as it calms down the internal organs. I cannot do without it and it's only Twin Labs that works for me. Saved my gut. Can't live without it!! This is not a promotion..It really does work and everyone I introduce Twin Labs too loves it! MKRAugust 30, 2014 - 1:30pm
Anonymous (reply to Michelle King Robson)

Could you please indicate what gut problem you were taking it for? I have fibromyalgia and have been told by my doctor to take magnesium but I've read that it can give you diarrhea. I also have IBS with almost daily diarrhea so the last thing I want is more diarrhea from taking magnesium. Your feedback would be most helpful.

Thanks

From what I have read, Magnesium can give you a diuretic effect if taken in excess. Usually the culprit more so is Magnesium Citrate (magnesium combined with citric acid for easier absorption).
I think a safer option to avoid the diuretic effeect would be Magnesium Malate (magnesium bound with Malic acid)

I was only on 125mg magnesium citrate per day taken each morning. I wanted to start slow and work up to higher dose if it turned out it was needed. I must admit it did help the fibro aches and pains, and I did sleep a little better. Unfortunately I ended up having to stop taking it as the diarrhea and stomach cramps just became too much for me.

Anonymous

Nobody addressed the first comment and I had the same reaction. I took my magnesium supplement (400mg) before bed and woke up alert and ready to go in the middle of the night. Any advice? Thanks.

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

What's your favorite veggie? :