Do I take Magnesium in the am or pm??

By Kristin Davis February 28, 2009 - 10:04pm

I've heard two different opinions on this and I'm wondering what the EmpowHer answer is.... I recently started taking a magnesium supplement (400mg) after the recommendation of our wondrous Coach Virginia due to my RLS issue. And I'm curious to know what time of the day would be most advantageous for me to take it, as far as absorption is concerned, so that I get the most benefit from it. I currently take Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, first thing in the morning due to my GERD. I don't know if this would have any affect on how a supplement is absorbed. In the evening at bedtime, I take Yaz birth control pill. Those are the only meds I take and I take no other supplements. Thanks for any input you might have!

Anonymous

Kristin I have heard that the best time to take magnesium in at the evening, because it relaxes muscles and help for sleep, I read too that it is not recommended to take more than 350 mg of mg as a supplement , personally, I take 200 mg and the rest I get it from food. good luck

Anonymous

Supplements should not be taken within the same two hours of medication. I'm a real big believer in Magnesium. I'm taking this one http://www.amztk.com/magnesium-citrate and I'm seeing amazing results. This has really helped me tons with so many different issues and whoever I recommended this to has not been let down.

Anonymous

I have RLS and take magnesium by nature made 250mg every NIGHT. RLS creeps up more at night so it's best to take at night before bedtime. Plus you will get a better night sleep. Avoid magnesium oxide as it is not well absorbed. Good luck. But take continuously and you will see the amazing results. You'll poop better too!!

Anonymous

Please help, i take multi-vit., COQ10 100mg, Magnesuin 200mg, 81mg asprin, Metformin for Pre-diabeties and Amlodipine for high blood pressure and i have problems sleeping at night...never get sleepy...HELP! I told my Doctor about it and he told me to take Melatonin 0.3mg in which i am afraid to take because a Dr. at the GYM told me that it causes Suicidal thoughts????? HELP!! also tried Cherry Juice didn't work......

I have heard when taking vitamin D3 in the evening will disturb the sleep, if you are taking it in the evening try to take it in the morning. There are many natural remedies for sleep, Camomile tea. Valeria 30 minutes before bed time. check with your Dr before taking those things I just mentioned , they may interfere with you medications. Good luck/

I was having lots of problems with lack of sleep . After a bad side effect form levofloxin . Linden tea help me plus cherry tart . My reflux and stomach problems i fix with raw red cabagge juice . Dgl licorice and d limonene . Dont eat 3 hours befkre bed . I get some stomach problems if i eat. Chocolate or pizza other than ghat i eat everything . Low on red meats . Marshmellow root heal your guts . This work for me .do your onw research im not a doctor i cant tell you what to do god bless you

Calm down!! Don't listen to anybody at the gym on medical advice and melatonin is a hormone already in your body and that is such a low dose.-- No. If you are concerned, call any Cvs in your area, ask for the pharmacist, and ask if that is a likely side effect.

I highly HIGHLY doubt that it would be an OVER THE COUNTER medication (MELATONIN) would be allowed to be on the shelves if it were dangerous.

I take melatonin for sleep. It's the best thing / most natural thing. RECOMMENDED BY MY TOP OF THE LINE DOCTORS! Look, if you have those thoughts, take notice, and stop taking it.

Many things have side effects. In fact, everything does. Flipping out bc a lot of them sound or are scary isn't worth it. No doctor worth his salt would have told you that.

In regards to taking Melatonin supplements. The longer you take them the more dependent you become because your body stops production of it naturally.

Herbal teas may help. Biofeedback can help. I have had good results with a product from Vitamin Shoppe called Snooze Right. It contains many of the same herbs that a major sleep medicine includes but does not contain addictive components or melatonin.

As with anything consult a doctor or naturopath and do your research

Sweet dreams!

I'm a pharmacist and I absolutely agree! Melatonin is safe and effective and interacts with very few medications. Even children can safely take melatonin

Anonymous

I started taking magnesium a few months back and i notice if i take them at night (bed time) it keeps me awake, but when i take them around 10am with my breakfast and find out that i sleep much better at might...

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

What's your favorite veggie? :