Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Do I take Magnesium in the am or pm??

By Kristin Davis

I've heard two different opinions on this and I'm wondering what the EmpowHer answer is.... I recently started taking a magnesium supplement (400mg) after the recommendation of our wondrous Coach Virginia due to my RLS issue. And I'm curious to know what time of the day would be most advantageous for me to take it, as far as absorption is concerned, so that I get the most benefit from it. I currently take Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, first thing in the morning due to my GERD. I don't know if this would have any affect on how a supplement is absorbed. In the evening at bedtime, I take Yaz birth control pill. Those are the only meds I take and I take no other supplements. Thanks for any input you might have!

Anonymous

Please help, i take multi-vit., COQ10 100mg, Magnesuin 200mg, 81mg asprin, Metformin for Pre-diabeties and Amlodipine for high blood pressure and i have problems sleeping at night...never get sleepy...HELP! I told my Doctor about it and he told me to take Melatonin 0.3mg in which i am afraid to take because a Dr. at the GYM told me that it causes Suicidal thoughts????? HELP!! also tried Cherry Juice didn't work......

Anonymous

I started taking magnesium a few months back and i notice if i take them at night (bed time) it keeps me awake, but when i take them around 10am with my breakfast and find out that i sleep much better at might...

Anonymous

I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and my health food nutritionist recommended that I take magnesium 1 hour before dinner at 4pm. Prior to his advice, I took the magnesium at bedtime and couldn't sleep. Please ask your health practitioner or health food nutritionist and mention your health history.

Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter
I take my Twin Labs 400mg of Magnesium every night ever since my hormone specialist told me to for my bowel regulation as well as it calms down the internal organs. I cannot do without it and it's only Twin Labs that works for me. Saved my gut. Can't live without it!! This is not a promotion..It really does work and everyone I introduce Twin Labs too loves it! MKRAugust 30, 2014 - 1:30pm
Anonymous (reply to Michelle King Robson)

Could you please indicate what gut problem you were taking it for? I have fibromyalgia and have been told by my doctor to take magnesium but I've read that it can give you diarrhea. I also have IBS with almost daily diarrhea so the last thing I want is more diarrhea from taking magnesium. Your feedback would be most helpful.

Thanks

Anonymous

Nobody addressed the first comment and I had the same reaction. I took my magnesium supplement (400mg) before bed and woke up alert and ready to go in the middle of the night. Any advice? Thanks.

Anonymous

Why should post menopausal women should not take IRON my doctor has just put me on iron as I am so tired all the time it has not yet helped me I am still the same, my e mail is lynayotte@yahoo.com

Anonymous

i have been taking magnesium tablets and have ben trying AM and PM and personally i find that when i take them in the evening i am waking up bright and alert for a good while in the middle of the night... i do have hypothyroidism so not sure if this has anything to do with it

Coach Virginia

I am aware of the many pills we think we need to take to obtain optimal health, that includes pharmaceutical products which now are showing little evidence of effectiveness. We keep forgetting that FOOD is medicine, and I am talking about natural, healhty food like raw vegetables, fresh fruits, no meat, gluten-free. But how many eat like that on a daily basis?

Unfortunately, magnesium is lacking in the modern diet because natural sources (soil) are depleted from this mineral. At a recent medical conference I attended, a lot of attention was given to nutraceuticals (vitamins and supplements) and the consensus was that few people in America eat right and appropiate amounts of essential nutrients from natural sources, so using supplements helps as long as appropriate dosage and good quality product is used. But nothing replaces the value of getting them straight from the source.

Also, many people buy supplements without consulting a health coach or a healthcare provider and end up wasting money. So it is important to work closely with a professional before embarking on a self-directed protocol of nutraceuticals.

Also, at this high level medical conference, we were presented with hard data from studies done which show that maintaining healthy levels of essential minerals, amino-acids and anti-oxidants in our bodies will promote healthier bodies and longevity along with stress reduction and exercise.

One of my favorite mutivitamin products is made by Metagenics. They make a product specifically for women. All their products are also backed by reputable science. If you are interested let me know, I think you can only get them via referral by a healthcare professional. I have my own provider account with them because I recommend their products to clients on my Health/Wellness Coach capacity. Another company that makes really good products and many do not realize is the brand sold at Costco called Nature's Made. They are rated high in quality at a reasonable price. They do carry a multivitamin product, not sure if they have one just for women.

And remember that post-menopausal women should NOT take iron supplements!

Anonymous (reply to Coach Virginia)

My doctors told me to drop iron and take B12 instead, it worked.

What's your favorite veggie? :