Do you believe in out-of-body experiences?

By September 18, 2008 - 9:48am

Long the focus of fringe enthusiasts and science fiction movies, the so-called out-of-body experience has reached the level of serious science.

According to a BBC article doctors at 25 hospitals in the UK and the U.S. will study 1,500 survivors to find out if people with no heartbeat or brain activity can have "out of body" experiences."

Dr Sam Parnia who is heading the study, works as an intensive care doctor, and felt from his daily duties that science had not properly explored the issue of near-death experiences.

What do you think? Do you believe in the so-called out-of-body experience? If so, do you think it's related to how the body functions? Or is it something else?

I tend to believe that when people talk about out of body experiences it is a disturbance in our brain that causes us to believe something we see, think or hear.

When people talk about out of body experiences, it tends to be after a tragedy or some other kind of dramatic experience. At the time, there is limited usage to our brains, just like pain killers such as morphine. Morphine does not take the pain away, it dulls our brain waves to think that there is no pain.

So in essence, I think out of body experiences are in the same class, our brains are dulled from reality and makes our minds wander.

I believe in déjà vu, as I've had a few weird experiences like that; but, I'm not convinced about out of body or near death experiences, largely because it's difficult to provide indisputable scientific proof that they occurred.

I believe a lot of it is due to pain or other medications that the person is on. The power of a morphine drip is mighty!

People don't seem to have these experiences at home, sleeping, under no duress or in good health. It always seem to be a panic and life or death situation and the vast majority of times, high doses of narcotics are involved. This, combined with the fatigue and high stress levels of a patient are the connection to these out of body experiences, in my opinion.

So that's a 'no', in my book!

you dont know what your talking about, i dont mean to sound offensive but its true. MANY people have them at home, im one of them, im in perfectly good health. infact im a part time fitness instructor along with my regular career. i have no troubles sleeping, ive never taken any drugs. never even tried alcohol or smoking.

but ofcourse i would never tell anybody in real life about these experiences due to some obvious social concerns.

But if you ask me what they are... i couldnt tell you, all i know is that they feel, taste, smell and look like the real world... real or not? im not sure.. but they experience itself does exist and happens to alot of people.