Do You Have A Bucket List?

By January 27, 2009 - 1:19pm

Many people make bucket lists. You know the one. . . the list of things you want to do before you die.

In fact, just last week my 20-year-old brother was making his.

At first I thought, "Why would you make a bucket list when it's likely you're not kicking the bucket for a while."

Then I realized it was a great idea and made one too.

Bucket lists don't just force you to recognize your dreams and aspirations, but prevent "I wish I had" and "If only" moments.

A bucket list can also be a great motivational tool.

What's on your bucket list?

Here is mine so far:
Work for Greenpeace
Become a traveling nurse
Write a best selling book
Get married
Learn to snowboard
Learn to play the violin
Visit as many countries as I can afford
Go on safari
Sell a photograph
Take a painting class

Anon - Thanks for sharing information about this site. Do you personally have a bucket list? If so would you be willing to share some of the items on it? You just might inspire others!

Here is a great place to create, manage and share your bucket list. You can also get some interesting ideas to put on your bucket list from others.

Check it out.

I've already done a lot of things on my "list." Instead of a bucket list, it was a "before I'm (a certain age)."

For example, I told my parents that I was going to Africa when I graduated from high school. They stopped laughing when I won a full scholarship - all the way through Grad School - to study anywhere in the world, and that included a year in Tunisia.

I wanted to train to run a marathon at age 50, now I coach others to do that.

I wanted to learn more about wine so that I could travel and write about food and wine when I retire. I used to run the Food Channel at iVillage; now I'm studying to be a Sommelier through the ISG and have joined an international travel writer's association.

The real question is: are you checking things off your list? Don't let your life pass you by, is what my grandfather always said. Pipe dreams are one thing; living your dreams is quite another.

I hope you're living yours! :))

I love all your ideas! I might even steal some and adopt them as my own. . . Thanks Ladies!!!

I love this question! I love the answers even more!

I also can echo wanting to be fluent at both the piano and with my French! I would love to go to Paris again and this time, feel that I can finish a few sentences without stumbling.

Other things on my list:
--Spend a month in Paris, using that French!
--Visit Greece, and South America
--have lasiks surgery and get rid of my glasses/contacts forever
--get one of my children's stories published!
--get my zillions of boxes of photographs sorted and controlled, somehow, lol (this may be just wishful thinking)
--Always have fulfilling work be part of my life
--cook the most amazing vegetarian food ever

And Susan, I'm officially stealing your last one!!!

Great question, Shannon! I'm liking the replies! Although what's wrong with being a shameless self-promoter?! *walking away, confused*

I'm with those who want to learn to play the piano and relearn French. I used to be close to fluent. What happened?

Also-I want to:

-Skydive and bungee jump one more time
-Go on an Alaskan cruise
-Spend one weekend away with my husband-no kids (no offense, nippers, just one weekend!)
-Visit Shanghai, Kenya, South Africa, Hong Kong and Argentina.
-Pay off my student loans a year early
-Get my novel(s) published.
-Win a poetry competition
-Complete a Rubix Cube (without cheating by moving the stickers around)
-Spend an entire day watching uninterrupted I Love The 80s on VH1
-Have all my kids reach 40 and still love me like they do now.
-Reach the age of 80, looking 60 and acting 20.

And to add a few more:

Live overseas;

Not become a shameless self-promoting dolt;

Take my nephew to a Space Shuttle launch;

Train a dog -- really well;

Re-learn piano;

Become fluent in another language;

See an iceberg up close and in person; (I might last 30 seconds here)

Get a black belt -- in something.

Good idea! I think that this is a great way to reconnect with all that is important to us!
Here's mine for now!

Travel....see Italy, Egypt, Russia, etc.

Become a great artist and stop making excuses...I know I can do it!

Learn french really well.

Learn to play the piano.

Dance again.

Try yoga.

Learn to be better and nicer.

Learn to swim!!

Write a novel.

Own a horse.