Do you let your toddler watch TV or videos?

By June 12, 2008 - 7:24pm

Do you allow your toddler to watch TV or videos?

According to the American Academy of Pediatricians (www.aap.org), it not recommended for toddlers 2 years or younger to watch ANY television or video, as they are unclear if it harms any of their development.

However, I've noticed a surge of "baby einstein" and related "educational" videos for parents to purchase for their tots to help their development (or, so says the advertising).

What do you think? How much TV and/or videos is okay for toddlers, whether it is "educational" or not?

None of my kids were allowed to watch TV until they had passed their first birthday. Before that, to me, it's just a mindless past-time.

Now they get limited TV. An hour every morning up in our bedroom (and thank God for that, so I can take my shower, get dressed, put a little makeup on and be ready for my crazy day!) and they can watch occasional movies, maybe 2-3 times a month.

TV can be heaven-sent for parents who need a few minutes to themselves. But it should never be a parental substitute or a babysitter. Kids can get hooked on TV and any more than 90 minutes a day is just too much.

We have no TV on in our home during the day. It simply isn't switched on and our kids are so used to it, they'd never think of turning it on. The kids have their music, I listen to talk radio and we head outside. People who watch daytime TV (which we all know isn't exactly brain food) don't realize that their kids do indeed see and hear it, even if it appears that they are doing other things. And who wants a TV on all day anyway? That would drive me nuts!

Nothing wrong with a little Dora or Super Why but all in supervised moderation.

Of course tots should watch television, i am thirteen and vividually remember being two and watching the little mermaid and Beauty in the beast. I believe if anything it can help them grow by hearing voices and speech on tv. When i babysit smaller children i usually watch a "g" rated movie with them and then we act out our favorite scene together. They have a blast and i think it helps them too.

My kids had Sesame Street and I didn't mind that because it was both entertaining and educational. But, I also spent a lot of time doing things with my kids, like reading, listening to classical music (like my parents did with me) and playing with puzzles and shapes. They were probably overly prepared for pre-school, LOL!

I know parents who use the TV like a babysitter and, I don't care whether it's "baby einstein" or whatever, I believe a child learns more from interaction with you than with something they can't really grasp.