Do you think mental health issues still come with stigmas?

By May 7, 2008 - 8:49am

I read a story this morning about how mental health treatments have come a long way. While treatments may have come along way, do you think the stigma associated with mental illness has subsided? Where do you see examples?

Yes, though I have bipolar I, I would not want a relationship with someone like me.

Not even 30 years ago, people were 'sent away' when suffering mental illness and children were whipped, beaten and permanently institutionalized for what we know know as Autism (and it's relative disorders) ADD, ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder and many other previously misunderstood conditions.

Parents are no longer embarrassed (we hope) to have children with mental illness or to have one themselves.

What I am so thankful for is support groups. There are millions of them! In real life or on-line, there is support for almost everything and thank God for it!

One of the hardest issues for people dealing with mental illness is that feeling of being alone, of being the only one in the world suffering or having a loved one suffering. These support groups are a life saver.

I am not such an optimist to say that mental illness now carries no stigma, it does and may always, depending on age, culture, geographical location, and religious beliefs. And some people are still in plain old denial.

But have we come a long way? Oh, big time. And hopefully we will continue to march forward so that nobody ever feels shame for having a mental disorder and so that no-one will feel alone.