Does any one else have issues with lupus ?

By October 11, 2015 - 12:17pm

I just got this disease recently and my family is not understanding at all. I also have the problem's with family saying its in my head and I need to get off my ass and do something yet no one is willing to help, Except my boyfriend that helps me understand that i am not the crazy one. but please help me understand how they can be so unsupportive

I am 31 and just got divorced 2 yrs. Ago but got sick a yr. Ago. I have 2 children my daughter just turned 7 and my son is 5. I am living with my mom right now because she wants to charge me rent for the house i was staying at. You have to understand my drs all don't want me to work yet. But my mom wants to take my kids child support from them just because. She has a great job, buys new clothes every week, gets a maid to clean her house, goes out with different guys all the time and is very very unsupportive if me. I have no other friends or family to go to for help because she has painted me as a worthless person to them. So half believe me and half believe her. My boyfriend and kids all 3 know how she makes me feel and she doesn't treat us nicely. But we have no where else to go. And my kids child support is for my kids not for her to go out with.

HERWriter Guide (reply to butterfly31)

Hi butterfly31

You're in a very difficult position. If your doctors say you cannot work then you can qualify for social security disability payments and a possible rent allowance. See what you can do. Getting out from under your mother will help and your children should not be exposed to her abuse. Call your social security or download forms and have your doctors fill then out.

I'm very sorry your family is like this.

I am going to assume they are like this because they are ignorant of Lupus, they don't understand it and need to be educated.

They need to click onto the Lupus Foundation website (here: http://www.lupus.org/answers/entry/what-is-lupus) to learn what this is and how difficult the flares can be.

I'm glad your boyfriend is being supportive. How old are you, Anon? Are you still in school and living at home?

If you are an adult and your family are generally unsupportive then you may have to go it alone for a while. Don't stay in a toxic situation. Do you have other family or friends to lean on for support?

You can also find a support group here: http://www.mollysfund.org/programs-services/lupus-support-groups/