Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Does anyone's vagina have different smell after hysterectomy?

Anonymous

I had a hysterectomy the beg. Of August and have been experiencing a gross smell of my vagina starting like 6 weeks after. I also have a pink watery discharge and wear a liner everyday. I do not like sex anymore because I stink and am now insecure. When I do have to have sex it feels like a raw wound is being irritated. And the only position I can tolerate is when I lay on my side. My husband does not understand and neither do I. What is this? My dr. Never said a word of this.

Anonymous

I have no vaginal odor. So what could be wrong? I have my ovaries. I have very low odor hardly nothing. No pheromones , that smell that would drive my husband crazy! I had my hysterectomy in 2011

Exactly! I have no sexual arousal smell anymore. My spouse actually used the word bland. Said my smell is gone. Complete hysterectomy 5 months ago and I hope this doesn't mean my pheromones are gone too!

Thinking about bio identical hormones.

That is a very good question.
In the early weeks following a hysterectomy, many women experience an unusual or offensive vaginal odor that can be quite unsettling. This odor is likely caused by dissolving stitches, along with old blood and other fluids in the abdominal cavity. This can happen with either a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy.

A strong, particularly a "fishy" vaginal odor, accompanied by a discharge may indicate a vaginal infection. This needs to be promptly treated by your doctor.

When in doubt, it is safest to contact your doctor's office to mention any unusual vaginal odor.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I just had a total abdominal hysterectomy the end of July 2014. Ever since then I have had an unusual vaginal odor. No discharge and it's not fishy smelling but it's weird smell. I'm afraid to be intimate with my boyfriend because of it. My doctor just started me on my estrogen, will that help? Is there anything I can do about the smell so that I can be with my boyfriend again?

ShellyBelly (reply to Anonymous)

On another site, a woman who had a hysterectomy told her doctor that using Monostat 7 for a week every month cleared up the smell.
/Another lady said using a vinegar and water douche helped.
I'm having the icky smell and will experiment with both.

How do you control your PMS?: