Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Does anyone's vagina have different smell after hysterectomy?

Anonymous

I have no vaginal odor. So what could be wrong? I have my ovaries. I have very low odor hardly nothing. No pheromones , that smell that would drive my husband crazy! I had my hysterectomy in 2011

Exactly! I have no sexual arousal smell anymore. My spouse actually used the word bland. Said my smell is gone. Complete hysterectomy 5 months ago and I hope this doesn't mean my pheromones are gone too!

Thinking about bio identical hormones.

That is a very good question.
In the early weeks following a hysterectomy, many women experience an unusual or offensive vaginal odor that can be quite unsettling. This odor is likely caused by dissolving stitches, along with old blood and other fluids in the abdominal cavity. This can happen with either a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy.

A strong, particularly a "fishy" vaginal odor, accompanied by a discharge may indicate a vaginal infection. This needs to be promptly treated by your doctor.

When in doubt, it is safest to contact your doctor's office to mention any unusual vaginal odor.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I just had a total abdominal hysterectomy the end of July 2014. Ever since then I have had an unusual vaginal odor. No discharge and it's not fishy smelling but it's weird smell. I'm afraid to be intimate with my boyfriend because of it. My doctor just started me on my estrogen, will that help? Is there anything I can do about the smell so that I can be with my boyfriend again?

How do you control your PMS?: