Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: does anyones vaginia have different smell after hysterectomy?

Anonymous

I have no vaginal odor. So what could be wrong? I have my ovaries. I have very low odor hardly nothing. No pheromones , that smell that would drive my husband crazy! I had my hysterectomy in 2011

norawcoffey

Most women report a change in vaginal odor after hysterectomy. The majority of women report decreased odor that is not as strong and quite different from what they experienced before the surgery. A smaller, but still significant number, report increased vaginal odor that is different than what they had previously experienced.

Because the top of the vagina is cut into around the circumference of the cervix, and then sutured closed after the uterus is removed, it makes the vagina into a closed pocket. This prevents the normal development of vaginal fluids and discharge of the fluids through the vagina, which changes the natural ph and flora of the vaginal tissue.

If you are not experiencing vaginal irritation or burning you are most likely experiencing the typical post-hysterectomy vaginal tissue changes. If you do develop burning or irritation you may have an infection. A culture of a foul smelling discharge will reveal whether you have an infection, and if so what type of organism is growing.

That is a very good question.
In the early weeks following a hysterectomy, many women experience an unusual or offensive vaginal odor that can be quite unsettling. This odor is likely caused by dissolving stitches, along with old blood and other fluids in the abdominal cavity. This can happen with either a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy.

A strong, particularly a "fishy" vaginal odor, accompanied by a discharge may indicate a vaginal infection. This needs to be promptly treated by your doctor.

When in doubt, it is safest to contact your doctor's office to mention any unusual vaginal odor.

How do you control your PMS?: