Expectations for the Future with Obama

By Anonymous January 26, 2009 - 9:30am

President Obama has taken his Oath and we are experiencing history firsthand. What are your expectations for your future?

I stand with Coach Virginia on this issue. Preventative medicine is a must! Too many individuals wait until they are very ill to see a doctor and this practice causes many preventable deaths. As she stated, a main reason for this current practice is the lack of health insurance. Universal Health Care would be a huge step forward for America and a necessity if we plan to ward off preventable deaths.

I hope we get around the whole issue of Universal Health Care decided once and for all. The economy will continue to decline and unemployment to increase. The number of uninsured will cause medical infrastructure and services to operate on the red while hoping for new reimbursement practices. Therefore, my greatest expectation is to get Preventive medicine recognized as a valuable strategy to get out of this vicious cycle of disease and pharmacology models that are killing not only lives but pockets!

My expectations for the next 4 years are fairly simple. We have an enormous deficit, the country is in recession (hopefully not Depression) and the housing, auto and banking markets are a shambles.

I'd like to see some kid of respite for these industries, at worst, and at best, an improvement. It'll take some time. I'd like to see all persons allowed to marry and I'd like to see all persons with access to health care. I'd like to see corporate welfare regulated, as well as social welfare and for these industries to be regulated a bit more tightly. We were warned 10 years ago about what deregulation does and we turned our backs on it in favor of a completely free market system and now our capitalist society has the government in every corner of it. No! Our collective greed has turned our free market system into socialism!

One bright (perhaps) spot in all this is that perhaps, finally, we will stop living as a nation of spenders, not savers. We are addicted to instant gratification, and wanting everything bigger, faster and better. The price for this kind of lifestyle is extremely heavy. While many people were innocently swept up in the "you can do it!" mentality of home buying and materialism, many of us were plain greedy. We lived far outside our means, we vacationed in exotic places when we could barely afford a trip to the grocery store and we somehow decided that we could have everything, right here, right now, and it would all somehow work out. We looked at credit cards like they were some kind of gift! So I hope we have all learned some valuable lessons from the past several years. I do believe we have. But our memories are short so time will tell.

However, in the scheme of things, I believe our future is brighter today that it has been for the past...oh...8 years or so! Just picked a random number there (!).