How can I keep my avocados from turning brown?

By HERWriter Blogger July 29, 2014 - 10:13pm

Avocados are one of my favorite foods! But whenever I buy them, they turn brown so fast. Usually I use half, then put the other half in a Ziploc in the fridge. By the next day, most of it has turned brown. How can I avoid this?

HERWriter Blogger

Hey Susan,

Awesome tip! I'm going to try that out with the lemon and bowl of cold water. I love avocados, but always am upset when they go to waster and turn brown. Thank you! :)

Hi Erin

I love avocados too! And they are filled with those "good fats" our body needs, as well as Vitamin C and protein and fiber. 

To stop the browning (which can happen rather quickly), simply keep the pit intact (if you are slicing around it) and rub the flesh with lemon or lime. Then put the avocado in an airtight bag or container (or as airtight as you can) and store in the fridge. 

Alternatively, you can place your opened avocado in a bowl of really cold water (add ice), that stops oxygenation and your avocado will not brown. 

Happy eating! 

Recipes & Cooking

Recipes & Cooking Guide