How do I find time for exercise?

By Anonymous February 8, 2012 - 12:46pm

I am a full time working mom of 2 very active children. I barely make it home in time to get the kids to their next practice/school activity. I often depend on my crock pot so we can have a home cooked meal after the running is done, then we do the homework, bath, and bedtime routine. When do other moms like me fit in exercise? I know that is what I need to do to lose the excess weight I'm hoping to lose, but I just can't find the time.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Your dilemma is the same of so many men and women!

I also work and have a 5, 6 and 7 year old and work out 5 days a week.

I do this by prioritizing my life. I make sure that my health needs are met because without it, I wouldn't be the wife, mother, worker that I want to be. We do ourselves a great disservice by putting ourselves last. We think it's what we should do and people compliment mothers who sacrifice everything but I don't feel that way at all; I think this is a terrible way to live. My husband and children are always first in my life and I'd never change that but I come a pretty close second, even though it took several years to feel that way. For the first few years of parenthood, I'd put a stray cat before me.

We don't allow extra curricular activies for our children on week nights (other than playing outdoors with their neighbor friends or having them come over) so that we have time for homework, a nice meal, baths and family time/stories. Then when our kids are in bed, we're tired but we have time to exercise. Going out for a brisk walk, using equipment at home or simply working out to a DVD at home is very possible to do if we take away the crazy, manic schedules we've allowed ourselves to get sucked into. Heading to the gym is also a good idea - a few nights a week is great if you can manage it!

Kids don't need a ton of activities to immerse themselves in, they can take part in weekend sports/music/activities etc without the whole week being a stressed filled hop from one activity to another.  We learned this and our kids were very happy to keep afterschool activities to the weekend and my husband and I also like it as we can both takes turns to work out and life is simpler. It's ok to say no to some of the things your kids want to do and it's ok to slow life down and get out of the parenting rat-race. We never allowed ourselves to get sucked into it. It really is a choice we have to make.

Everyone has 24 hours in a day and it's up to us how to manage our time. We can do it, but we have to prioritize our lives and understand that each member of a family has to be happy in order to have a happy family. Racing from one thing to another is pure mayhem in my mind. I see parents doing it all the time and are stressed from it all and they tell me I'll get sucked in too but we never have. I think it's an awful lifestyle, to be honest.

Once you elimate a lot of unnecessary stuff, I think you'll feel a lot of relief and wonder how you got caught up with all the crazy in the first place!