I had a complete hysterectomy 6 years ago and I am now 44. I battle belly fat even after loosing 25 lbs. I've been told it is because I don't have hormones any more and I have never been on HRT since my hysterectomy. Would a natural HRT help me?

I've been told without hormones, I will continue to store fat in my abdominal region, and there is nothing I can do. I recently lost 25 lbs. and still suffer from embarassment because of my dimpled belly fat. I vowed I would wear a bikini as soon as I lost weight, and fact is, I am repulsed at the sight of my own abdomen. I work out 5 days a week with no changes. Would natural HRT help me? I am not interested in pill popping, but hope maybe there is a natural alternative for me out there.

A procedure to create some support for those organs that lose theirs because of the hysterectomy should be MANDATORY and covered by insurance. What happens when women have breasts removed? Many are able to have reconstructions. Seems like if it's visible, like breasts, than efforts will be made to help women look whole again. But our bellies aren't usually seen. Sounds a bit chauvinistic, doesn't it? Why leave parts of our abdomens just hanging there, barely attached to anything? Is that fair?

Yup - the fall-out is more horrific than I ever could have imagined! We aren't told any of these side effects. I would give millions if it would restore my intact figure, sex life, hair (volume and color), youthful skin, normal vision, normal bladder and bowel function, vibrancy, joy... the list goes on. Unfortunately, a tummy tuck is not that helpful since our pelvic support structures have been cut destroying our musculoskeletal integrity. No chance of restoring my once svelte figure! I am underweight and weigh less than pre-surgery but the short, thick midsection and lower abdominal "pouch" is so distressing!

(reply to Anonymous)

But at least a tummy tuck would give some semblance of normalcy and be an improvement, though we can never return to what we were.

I read an article on another forum where a woman, who had great insurance, received a cosmetic procedure to re-create her support structures. As soon as the first surgeon was done, the cosmetic surgeon came in and used the remaining ligaments, muscles etc. to avoid that horrid apron and pull other structures up.
Don't you hate it when doctors and others say "just eat right and exercise more and it will go away". Nope. That is NOT how this scenario works.

Am I allowed to toot my own horn here? If not, please delete the following but I have written an article "My Hysterectomy Horror" which is on the internet. Not written for gain but to detail the hell that I went through and still am experiencing. I wanted to tell other women what most doctors don't, and the fallout even years later from this surgery. Also it was great therapy just to write it all down. I recommend doing that just to get the frustrations out.
P.S. Check out images on the internet of before and after tummy tucks. If we could only get half those results, I would be thrilled.

A woman cannot exist as such without estrogen, IMO.

Another result from having a hysterectomy that so many doctors try to hide from us or skip over. The only thing that will really work is a tummy tuck. But unless one has the money, it's not an option since insurance won't pay for it. And don't forget the huge increase in breast size. Some women are pleased, while those of us who were already "blessed" with large breasts now are carrying around udders. Again breast reduction would be the only solution, and it's considered cosmetic unless you can get a sympathetic doctor who will try to write up something that will convince insurance to pay for at least part of it.
The weight gain is another wonderful side effect of the surgery and again is either not addressed or is blamed on the woman (not eating right, not exercising etc.) which is a crock of you know what. My wonderful pain management doc gave me a supplement that the body thinks is estrogen. I don't weigh myself, it's too depressing, but my clothes are a lot looser and even my waist is emerging.
My suggestion is to do a lot of internet research; not just on supplements but also forums where women discuss the ridiculous shape that this horrible surgery left us in.
So many of us have been deceived.

Anonymous (reply to LizziesAxe)

What was the supplement? Please!

This is LizziesAxe. I got tired of wasting time trying to reset my password so I'll just reply. I don't think I can mention a brand or the supplement's name here. Do a search on Amazon under "All" for breast health protective (hint). When I did it, it was the first product that showed up for me; it might not for you. Used to buy from my doctor but he ran out and discovered it was on Amazon. It is a doctor's formula.

Be sure to read reviews and comments. Remember that some of that "apron" is fat but it will always hang like that due to lack of those abdominal support ligaments that they severed. (something they just happened not to tell me pre-surgery along with a bunch of other horrid side effects that developed over the years.) I did experience weight loss (or my body became able to rev its metabolism again) without any real effort. Not a huge amount but I got somewhat of a waist back.
I made my own decision to take it. I could not bear living with the body they left me with. I felt like a fat, lumbering cow with huge udders. Let them live like that; I couldn't. What about QUALITY of life? That doesn't seem to factor into the equation.
P.S. When I go out I wear "shapewear" which helps to push and lift the apron a little. I notice when this is worn that my lower back muscles stop aching and seem to breathe a sigh of relief. Not a girdle-that would be too much! Just something with a bit of control. Good Luck. Remember, what works for one person may not do the same thing for another.

Hi LizziesAxe (great name!)

Feel free to name any products you are using, just don't add links.

Thanks--I wasn't sure if it would be allowed.
It's called "Protective Breast Formula" and is all natural (of course). The doctor who formulated it has her own website but I also found it elsewhere (my doctor carries it as well). Don't know how others may respond to it, but within two weeks my weight slowly dropped (and I mean SLOWLY) and I've gotten a bit of a waist back. These are not mentioned in ads for the product but it is what happened to me. That apron also somewhat reduced but it's doubtful whether it will ever go away without help.

The bottle says two a day but my dosage is just one. Worth a try. Those of us suffering with after effects that were never mentioned are willing to try anything!

I'm glad that I had the hysterectomy as I no longer have to deal with the continuous fibroids and the endometriosis. It has been 7 years since my surgery and I had gained over 125lbs. I made the decision 3 months ago to have gastric sleeve procedure. Since my decision, I have lost 30lbs by working with a nutritionist. I have lost a lot of the belly fat but still have the pouch from the hysterectomy. The pouch is mostly loose skin and after I loose more weight I will have a procedure to remove the pouch. There are a lot of foods that will eliminate the pouch but from what I am experiencing, surgery to remove the pouch is my only resort. I encourage every woman who has had a hysterectomy to connect with a nutritionist to educate you on the foods that will assist you in loosing the pouch. Also, depending on your health insurance it maybe a covered expense. My gastric sleeve has been approved and my procedure is this Wednesday, Sept 9th. I am looking forward to the additional weight loss as well loosing the pouch forever. Educate yourselves on what procedures are covered under your insurance plan to remove the pouch. If there is a will there is a way. Good Luck Ladies and I will keep You updated on my procedures.. Be Blessed

Yes, I absolutely HATE the bulging belly along with the many other issues from this surgery. It is no wonder our bellies bulge even if we haven't gained weight. Our pelvis' support structures (ligaments) were cut causing our midsections to settle / shorten making them thicker / fatter...no more waist here! For me and most other women I know who've had hysterectomies, it is a ledge at the navel. I used to have completely flat abs with protruding hip bones. Now all that protrudes is my belly and it is not symmetrical either. :(