I have a 10 centimeter cyst on my left ovary and my doctor wants to remove it and the ovary. She is also suggested moving removing the right ovary even though there is nothing wrong with it at the moment. I am 62 years old. I'm not sure what to do. I don'

I am 62 and overweight. I am worried that removing both ovaries would cause a hormonal problem and I really don't want to gain anymore weight. Is it always necessary to remove both ovaries if there is a large cyst even if the other ovary is fine?

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER!

It seems your gynecologist is suggesting removing a healthy ovary as some kind of preventative measure - getting it out in case it starts getting cysts too. But there doesn't seem to be any actual need. It's precautionary, if you have no history of cysts on that ovary.

My advice is to ask your doctor why she thinks this is the right thing to do and bear in mind it's just a suggestion. You can also get a second opinion to see if this is necessary . It is generally not necessary to remove a good ovary when the problem lies with another. Ovaries are important to our health and well-being so I understand your concerns.