I have pelvic prolapse. Can I excercise using spinning classes?

By November 23, 2009 - 7:58pm

I am newly disgnosed with plevic prolapse, 36yrs old, 4 children all 18 months apart.
Since the last birth 17 months ago I have a lot of symptoms, but was not diagnosed til now. I was very atheletic, exercising thru out pregnancies but did not resume exercise till 6 months post birth. I understand I can no longer do weights, step class and aerorbics. But my favorite was spinning. Can I do it safely? I can not find any answers on google. I do need some stress relief from vigourous exercise, I do, do yoga and pilates already.

Also do you recomemmend surgery, to relieve pain and symptoms.

Thanks you your help

Thank you

Dear Mom of 4

A recommendation for surgery can only come from your doctor and not from us. But many women have found a pessary to be of great help to them; others have found it to be a temporary measure. As Alison said, depending on your personal case, it may or may not be a good idea.

Here is an article on the various choices you have, I think it will help you :

Here is another thread on exercising with a prolapsed bladder :

I also had my kids together (all three are a year apart from each other) but didn't have pelvic issues as I was a c-section mama. However, I can imagine how difficult it is for you, dealing with the stress on your body, as well as the mental stress. I hope you can get this resolved very soon.

Hi momof4,

The recommendation for surgery depends on so many factors, and I'm wondering if you could tell us a few more details about what information and recommendations your doctor has provided to you.

I will do some more research on pelvic prolapse, and what types of exercises are/are not recommended, but it is most important to talk with your doctor about your specific condition, as the severity and other specific factors are important.

What symptoms are you currently experiencing, and are you in pain most of the time or only with certain activities?

(reply to Alison Beaver)

My Urologist told me I have complete prolapse of the bladder, and partial of the uterus.
My pelvic floor is extremely strong(b/c of many kegels and keeping in shape) So everything is just lying on the pelvic floor. My main problem is that after voiding their is still at least 200ml left in the bladder that can not come out. Next to that I do have a chronic pain, that too me resembles a badly bruised muscle between the legs and when it get bad it diffuses up toward my rib cage and down my legs. As for when it is worse I think its when I try and be a normal mom and lift the kids and grocery's and laundry. the urologist was matter of fact and said it needs surgery and a pesserary in the mean time, and no other info. Just the obvious that too many kids too soon and not alot of keratin in the tissues make them weak.