IBS and Birth Control Effectiveness

I had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago and since I have the symptoms of IBS (I am running to the bathroom at least 5 times a day and after I eat anything). I have been on BC for a year but it has been unclear if IBS will affect the way it is abosorbed in my system.

I have tried to contact my OBGYN to ask his opinion and I have yet to hear back from him (I am currently seeking a new physcian)

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to read that you're having these difficulties.

Frequent bowel movements (including diarrhea) has always been thought to have no effect on birth control absorption but some health care professionals believe there may be some impact (obviously the main warnings have been for vomiting).

Therefore, despite the general consensus (and your doctor may feel you're fine) that you will be safe, you may want to err on the side of caution.

I hope this IBS clears up for you very soon, I know it's a very uncomfortable condition.