I've noticed a difference in my blood circulation to my ankles and feet; besides exercise is there anything that can improve this condition?

I've noticed my ankles and feet color changing from my normal skin tone to darker shades and in some instances light gray. I'm assuming this is to a lack of blood circulating to them. I get regular check ups with my cardiologist and everything is fine with my heart. I exercise regularly but thought that besides that and messages there might be a supplement or vitamin that could help.

Or could this be sign of something else other then circulation?

Hi Jeannie - Is it your cardiologist that's not paying attention? Sometimes specialists are so focused on the "big" issues they seem to not want to take the time to deal with other problems. What I've found works for my own personal health is to take the major issues to my oncologist and to work with my primary care physician for diagnosis and treatment of other issues. It sometimes can mean more MD visits but it has lessened frustrations and helped me get better and faster care. Otherwise, I've found that being assertive and stating my concerns and that I want them to be addressed in a strong but not demanding manner has been helpful. I also often do my own research in advance of appointments and let my doctors know what I've learned, what options I've found are available and ask their counsel on which course they think is the best to take. Hope that helps!

(reply to Pat Elliott)

Thanks . . . I'll try it out

Hi Jeannie - I would suggest that you see your doctor and be sure to have lab tests done. I don't want to alarm you, but poor circulation can indicate that a major organ - such as the heart, kidneys, or liver - isn't functioning properly. You really need to get this checked out, and can get tested for diabetes at the same time. Thanks for writing, and good luck to you. Please let us now what you learn from the doctor.
Take care, Pat

(reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you, I will do that. However, it has been my experience in the past that when I have a problem usually my test results are in the higher then normal range but not high enough so doctors say not to worry about it. Yet, I have the signs of something being not right such as this circulation issue. Another example, iron deficiency: I'm usually on the low side but not low enough for my doctor to advise supplements even though I am often tired.

How do I get them to pay attention?

Hi Jeannie

I assume you do have some kind of heart condition, since you have a cardiologist? Can you tell us a little more about that?

The fact that you exercise and have foot massages is great - keep that up! Also, elevate your feet as much as you can, when sitting down. Get a step stool or ottoman when reading and that may also help.

Jeannie, have you had your blood sugar tested, for possible diabetes? If not, it's a good idea to do so.

Are you a smoker? ( I assume not!) but smokers have poorer circulation that non-smokers.

I'd also like you to read about Vasculitis and it's various sub-conditions. While we certainly cannot offer you any kind of diagnosis, Vasculitis can cause the symptoms that you are talking about. It's food for thought - http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2010/03/16/vasculitis-inflammation-blood-vessels

As far as vitamins go, for help in this area - it's advisable to ask your doctor this and the answer will depend on what medications you are taking. Natural herbs found in supplements can impact medications so please check with your health care provider about this.

Tell me if this information helps you and if we can guide you in any other way!

I have a cardiologist because of family history: Mom had triple by-pass surgery in her 70's but lived to 95 even with the damaged part of her heart mussel being cut out at the time; my Dad had cancer but on his death certificate it attributed his passing to heart failure. The rest of family were killed in German concentration camps so I do not have any additional info especially when it come to diabetes. I remember my Mom saying something about a family member have the "sugar disease" and I assume she was referring to diabetes but know nothing for sure.

I was a smoker but haven't for over 40 years. My blood pressure is in the low-high to normal range but my doctor has me on a mild Rx for it. Cholesterol is good and no Rx needed. Other then blueish finger nails when cold, catching colds and flue symptoms (even after the shoots) during winter season, presently the color of my lower legs around the ankles/feet turning darker accompanied with leg cramps during the night, and from to time some light headiness and equilibrium problems, I think I'm OK.