Community

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines

ask: Late period, always regular, 38 yrs old

I am 38 years old and my periods have been 100% regular until this month, when I am now a week late, however myself and my husband always use contraception. I am worries and will do a HPT, however am more concerned that it may be the early menopause, how else would I know and how long should I leave it before I get really worried. I tend to have stress all the time any way and my periods have remained regular throughout, so do not think it is stress related - this is a real suprise to me and I am not sure what to do.

Anonymous

i am 38 and 10 months old, i missed my period this month,, i get regular but last two months i got less period...i don't know what to do...me and my husband take care but i don't know how i missed please advise

Cary Cook BSN RN

Hi Anonymous

Many women start perimenopause around 35 years old, so it really isn't early to start showing signs of hormonal change. Usually the changes in cycle are fairly gradual. We have a lot of information on perimenopause: http://www.empowher.com/condition/perimenopause

Because you are concerned and it is rather sudden, I suggest you contact your health care provider for a checkup. You can have your hormone levels checked and have a physical exam to see what is going on with your cycle.

It is possible to get pregnant at 38, but if you always use contraception it is unlikely. Menopause is just another part of life like puberty or early adulthood. Many women have a few symptoms with menopause, but it isn't a disease or illness, and you don't have to fear it.

Please let us know if we can help you further. Thank you for writing, and we'd love to hear back on how you are doing. Good luck.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: