Insomnia

Insomnia Guide

ask: Little Sleep: How Can I Mute Drowsiness?

By Shannon Koehle

Sometimes I have bouts of insomnia. Other times, I just stay up too late. Either way, the next day when I have to get up for work I would still like to feel refreshed and awake as possible.

How can I create this burst of energy feeling without consuming coffee or other caffeinated substances and without going to the gym (since endorphins would produce this desired energy as well)?

I'm looking for simple, natural solutions to remain refreshed and focused throughout the workday.

Thank you for any suggestions you might provide!

Shannon Koehle

Ooo. . . tea time! Sounds enjoyable. I also like the get up and stretch/walk idea. I really should do that. Thank you Alysiak.

alysiak

As a workaholic and chronic insomniac, I know just how you feel.

The peppermint or citrus scents are great ideas, very refreshing, indeed.

Get up from your desk at least once every hour and stretch, take a walk around the office or go outside for a couple of minutes of fresh air. Go for a short walk at lunch. Have "tea time" with a co-worker (I used to take that time to hold staff briefings).

Shannon Koehle

Alison,

Thanks for your suggestions! You know, my Burt's Bees limp balm has peppermint in it and reapplying it is refreshing, even if only for the moment.

Thanks!

A few ideas I've heard in the past (beyond the "get more sleep" and "exercise" suggestions that you've already asked us not to say!) :-)

1) Drink water with citrus slices (lemon, lime, orange)

2) Essential oils, such as peppermint or orange, can provide a pick-me-up when needed. You can either dab some on your wrist, take a "whiff" from the bottle (I'm sure there is a nicer way to say that!), pour some in a small bowl beside you, or use an aromatherapy candle.

I'll be interested to read other suggestions!

What do you do when you can't sleep at night? :