My daughter committed suicide last year. She was my only child and I am still in shock and grieving. Do you have support system for this particular life challenge?

By July 25, 2011 - 9:24am

Dear Ritzy,

Thank you for your post and my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your daughter.

We do have a group in our Groups section that you may join here to tell your story and share you experiences: http://www.empowher.com/groups/Affected-Suicide or if you prefer, you may start your own in there by clicking here: http://www.empowher.com/groups

Are you getting any kind of counseling? Do you have a support system at home to help you through this? Can we help you in another way? Please let us know!

I have tried 2 counselors and 2 psychiatrist but it did not help. The only thing they offer is Ativan and Ambien because I can't sleep. I do not like the side effects of these drugs and have discontinued. I am 71 and my husband is 92. He is having health issues and I care for him. We have been together 21 yrs but no other family. I had 2 good friends of 40+ years and lost both of them in the last 2 wks, one to stroke and one to cancer. Strange reality. My support comes from friends that live in other states by phone/email. I'm feeling sad, scared and alone. I'm communicating via email with a lady rep for Loss from Suicide, a division of AFSP. She has been helpful because she understands and all members are in the same boat. I plan to attend a meeting. Thank you for responding to my comment.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Ritzy)

Hi again Ritzy

Thank you for your update. As you well know, it's a completely unnatural feeling to outlive your child and with suicide, there are far too many questions left unanswered and no way to say goodbye.

I am so glad you are attending a meeting, I was going to ask you about that. Sometimes the only people who can help are people who are going through the same thing as you.
When is your meeting? And are you getting some home care support for your husband or is it just you?