my fsh level is 87.5 and i haven't had my period in 2 years can i still get pregnant

By Anonymous April 3, 2012 - 2:16pm

I am 56 yrs old and go about 8 or 9 months with no periods then will bleed heavy on and off constantly for a few months then sop bleeding for another 8 or 9 months. This has happened for the last two years. I just had a Fsh test result of 87.5. Does that mean I'm in menopause or still peri-menopause?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Your FSH level correspond to that of a woman who is postmenopausal. But, a woman is not considered to have reached menopause until she has gone 12 consecutive months without a period.

What does your gynecologist say?

I actually had the same question. I am 40 years old and my FSH levels are 84....as of last year when I was tested they may be higher now. Can I still get pregnant?

I think it is safe to say that you are postmenopausal and there is no chance of becoming pregnant without using any protection.

Good Health,

Follicle-stimulating hormone or FSH is a hormone that is released by the anterior pituitary gland. In women, FSH stimulated the production of eggs and a hormone called estradiol during the first half of the menstrual cycle. In men, FSH stimulates the production of sperm.

Normal FSH levels will differ depending on a woman's age. Commonly, normal results are:
females before puberty: 0 to 4.0 mlU/ml
females during puberty: 0.3 to 10.0 mlU/ml
women who are menstruating: 4.7 to 21.5 mlU/ml
postmenopausal women: 25.8 to 134.8 mlU/m

Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. The unit of measurement. mlU/ml means milli international units per milliliter.

Why was a blood test to check your FSH levels ordered? How old are you?

Considering your FSH level is 87.5 and you have not had a period in 2 years, it is possible that you are postmenopausal. Has your doctor spoken with you about this?

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

i am 53 years old. i just want to be sure that there is no chance of becoming pregnant without using any protection.