Q: 

My period is really late but i've never had sex.

By Anonymous February 2, 2010 - 1:37am

I'm quite anxious because i've never been late in my life, i'm always early if anything, and i haven't had my period in about forty days. I'm really worried because i hadn't noticed but i weighed myself recently and i've gained a few pounds. I can't be pregnant right? I am a virgin. Thank you!

Anonymous

Hi susan , i'm 17 years old and this is the first time i've missed my period 2 months in a row i'm getting worried , i've never had sexual intercouse or any thing close to it ,but i'm in the middle of exams so its a lot of stress, i don't know what to do,i'm scared.

We're currently talking to lots of girls who are taking exams and missing periods. Happened to me too. It's probably due to stress. You'll get back to normal soon enough.

Anonymous

Hi, my period is 5 days late and im super worried. I began pms 6 days ago but i still havent had my period, im worried that im pregnant as I have recently gained a lot of weight and have been suddenly wanting to constantly eat. Im a virgin.

Hello Anon

If you are a virgin then you can't be pregnant unless during foreplay, sperm was placed on the outside of your vagina and managed to swim up - and you would have to have been ovulating at the same time.

Anonymous

Hi Susan,
I'm 13 and I've had my period for the past year and a half. My normal is cycle is between 28-30 days. And it's been 42 days since my last period ended and I'm still a virgin. What could cause this lateness?? I don't think I'm stressed school is going well and I normally start pmsing 1 day before my period. But I pmsed about 22 days ago for about 2 days. And never bled. I'm scared something happened and something is wrong and I really want children when I'm older could this effect that or could it hurt anything else that's inside me.

Periods are generally 3-7 days long with a cycle of between 21-35 days so as you can see there is a big "average" there.

Life can also change our cycles - anything from lifestyle changes to stress to getting older to diet/exercise, medications and hormone changes can affect our cycle.

You will probably settle back down to a regular cycle and it could last for years. Then you might see changes again.The teen years can have this happen a lot, especially a young teen like yourself.
So our cycle at 13 is different to 18 and our cycles at 30 are different at 45. The body never changes so our cycles are the same way - often changing, esp at the beginning (you) and the end (middle aged women) of fertility.

I hope this helps to ease your mind. Feel free to mention this to your doctor on your next visit if you still have worries but it doesn't have to impact future fertility. Your body is still changing and growing.

Anonymous

hi Susan,
I am usually about three days late everytime my cycle comes around I was sexually active before my last period which was in the beginning of march. I am no longer sexually active but now 5 days late and i am wondering why that is or should i be worried. i was on an antibiotic before my period date could that also delay my period?

Hello Anon

If you have not had sex since your last period then you can't be pregnant. Pregnant women do not have menstrual periods.

A menstrual period happens when a pregnancy does not occur that month and the lining of the uterus, that would otherwise house a baby, breaks down in the form of blood and tissue. A baby could not survive this so a woman is not pregnant when it happens.

You can take a pregnancy test for peace of mind - otherwise you could be delayed due to a hormonal blip/imbalance this month or even stress.

Anonymous

Dear Susan,
I got my first period last month and bleeding lasted for 2 weeks. Now its april and 30 days have passed and im very worried as pms havent started yet. Is it because its my second period?
Fran

So I had my first period and then I didn't have another one for 2 and a half months and then it came back as a regular every 28-32 days apart