my pth is 7 and my calcium is 10.2 what is this?

By Anonymous April 16, 2010 - 2:20pm

Dear Susan
This is ruining my life, the doctors and MD and endocrine DR have checked these ,they do a blood test to check parathyroid hormone and check cal-serum i literly have no energy altho cal-serum is 10.5 with PTH low at 7 its means cal is high why do i not have any energy, also two of my female hormones are very high i went thru mena pause at 40 ,I am now 46 ,i have had scan after scan and blood test after blood test!did 24 urine test for calcium and it came back low creatine the protiens are fine? No cancer, no tumors has been found specialist in florida say cal is not normal over 10.2 and pth hormone should be at 15, so now i get to c a kidney dr !!! This has gone on for 6 mths .I have no heath issues pryer to this ...No one can give me answers just more test and more blood work!also i know the rintidine i was on for acid reflux can change the creatine in urine the drs continuesly forget this....

Dear Anon

Thank you for your question and welcome!

A PTH test checks your blood calcium levels, to see how well your parathyroid glands work. Normal levels are about 9 or 10 (milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or thereabouts. Being low means you may be hypocalcemic. Adding magnesium to your diet is often indicated but your doctor will discuss your particular case with you.

However, you said that your calcium level is 10.5. This is normal. I'm not sure what you mean by saying your pth levels are 7 and calcium (in the blood) is 10.5 because a PTH test is for calcium so you shouldn't have two different results. If I am interpreting your questioning correctly, your level is either 7 or 10.5; it can't be both.

Why are you being tested for these levels? Are you pregnant of showing signs of having low blood calcium?