Is nerve pain in arms, hand, and other areas after having a depo provera injection for birth control normal ?

I had gotten my depo shot injection in the left side of my gluts muscle and usually i dont feel the needle or too much pain after the injection. But this particular time I felt a lot of burning sensation and I even jumped when she injected it, and usually that has never happened. After the shot I was feeling really bad pain throughout the whole day, even when i would try and stand I would feel the nerve in the back of my leg throbbing and it would keep me from being able to stand right up almost like my leg was giving out. Now its a week later and I have been feeling throbbing pulsating pains in my left arm, left leg and down to the center of my hand. Sometimes behind my ears and in the crease of my neck by my collar bones...I dont know what all this means but these painful sensations are not getting better.

Thanks for your post! I'm sorry to read you're in so much pain.

Your symptoms are not normal.

Your doctor may have stuck the needle in a muscle or nerve and caused some damage. This can actually take a long time to heal (if this is the case with you).

Please contact your doctor and explain your symptoms. You will likely be told that this will go away soon but ask them what to do for pain in the meantime (ice or heat etc).

If the pain does NOT go away soon, please make an appointment for this to be attended to. Since your pain is radiating out from the site to other areas of your body; this may require further attention.