No matter how much sleep I get. What's wrong with me?

I am a high performance executive at a very fast paced company. I work hard, I also exercise hard. But I always feel and look tired. I take supplements, and I eat relatively well also. I'm at a loss. It's like I have nothing left to give my family at the end of my work day, and it's really starting to wear on me. I don't mind working hard. And I love to stay fit and active. I just hate that I never feel like I have any energy.

You may be working too hard and exercising too much - without knowing it. Ambitious, hard-working people can underestimate just how much time they are putting into their daily tasks because they set such high goals for themselves that they expect extraordinary results from themselves. What they do in one day seems normal to them, whereas to others it's enough to have filled two or three days!

Keep a journal for about two weeks and write down the time to spend at work and how much you're working out. Track what you are eating. I think you'll be surprised at how much you actually do without really thinking about it.

Work is important; it supports you and your family and gives a good sense of satisfaction and achievement. Exercise is great both mentally and physically. But if you are not then able to spend quality time with your family, nor have any energy for them, it kind of nullifies all that you do, in a way. You may find that you have to give up some of your work and exercise hours every week (even just a few hours) so you can put them first. As I mentioned, work and exercise are important but family is also on the list - and should be at the top. You need to be a "high performance" parent and partner, too!

It's all about striking a healthy balance. Taking some time away from work and exercise will allow you to balance your time with family. Everyone wants to strive to be the best, but it can be lonely at the top if care isn't taken to ensure family and friends have been with you along the way.

I also think it's a good idea to get a health check up, in case there is some underlying condition that is causing such fatigue.

I hope this helps and our best to you,

Thank you, Susan. Have had a thorough check up and I'm told "clean bill of health." Every system, every thing. I just don't know if I have a thyroid or metabolic thing going on. I just have zero energy. Am going to try to see if I can figure it out. Appreciate your help though.

Hi again, Anon

Thanks for your update. If you've had a thorough checkup and all is well, then I still think you might want to take a look at your lifestyle and try to make some changes there. You may find that what you really need is less activity and a little more rest. At least give it a try so that if things don't change, you can eliminate "lifestyle" as a possible cause.

I hope you stay in touch with us!