Numb or tingling hands and feet while walking?

I know I need to lose weight so I am starting slow with pilates and walking. However after five minutes of walking my calves are quite painful - not cramping, just very tight. Stretching helps a little. I keep walking and it eventually goes away but about half an hour later my feet & ankles go completely numb & tingling. Like pins and needles when you sit on them for too long. I was with a group so I kept walking. Is it foot wear (I wear good walking shoes) or circulation (I have low blood pressure)? Has anyone else found a solution to this?

Hi, Anon, and welcome to EmpowHer!

First, let me give you a big round of applause for working on your fitness and your weight. Sometimes the hardest step is the one that gets us started. I'm really proud of you for digging into it and finding a walking group.

May I ask how overweight you are, or how much you think you would like to lose? And how long has it been since you exercised with any regularity?

Do you ever experience the tingling or pins-and-needles at any other time, like when you're sitting or standing for a long period of time?

It sounds a little to me like perhaps a circulation issue but maybe more likely a slightly pinched or inflamed nerve. Have you had back problems?

Please let me know some more answers and I'll do a little more research for you. And keep up the good work!

Fitness Guide