Pap Smear New Guidelines: Does it pertain to Virgins?

By Anonymous February 24, 2011 - 7:32pm

Hi there:
I was wondering if the new guidelines for pap smears pertain to virgins. I am a virgin in my mid 20s and I never had a pap smear. My doctor told me in the past that I did not need a pap smear because I am not sexually active. However, now my doctor told me about the new guidelines and told me that I need a pap smear. I am a little bit confused because I am still a virgin and what is the point of getting a pap smear if I do not have sex. I was just wondering if you can clairfy me this. Thanks.

A true virgin woman who has never engaged in any kind of sexual activity does not need a pap smear according to http://patientmodesty.org/virginandpapsmear.aspx.

Hello, i am 16 and i am a virgin. my mom said she is making me get one, but i have never had sex. what do i do? and will they tell my mom i have to wait til 21? help! i really don't want one!! ): i dont know what to say to my mom or doctor because they'll both be in the room.

Actually, all recommendations indicate that NO ONE under age 21, regardless of sexual activity, should have a pap smear. Any prudent physician would refuse to do one on a 16yr old. They could suffer serious legal ramifications.

I think you need to really explain to your Mom why you don't want or need a pap test. Your Mom cannot make you get a test; you can refuse to allow the doctor to perform this. There should be no need for a 16 year old virgin to have a pap test against her will and you are within your rights to refuse this test; it's not like you have any risk factors that indicate it's necessary. I think your Mom may be looking out for your best interests (or she may be looking to find out of you are a virgin or not) but she is ill-informed. It's very unusual for a virgin to get cervical cancer unless she is having genital to genital contact but still a virgin. If this isn't the case with you, you shouldn't need one at 16. As an adult, you should get a pap test every few years (or longer, talk to your doctor) as not all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV.

You cannot be forced to submit to this procedure. Inform your doctor that you are refusing this test and ask her to talk to your Mom to educate her on HPV and pap tests in general.

I was still a virgin when I went to the clinic and the nurse asked me specifically if I had sex yet, and I told her no. She told me that they wouldn't do the pap smear yet and we could wait until next time, or when I was sexually active. Maybe just ask if you can "wait til next time" or something. Good luck! If you don't feel comfortable with it, tell them.

Welcome to EmpowHer and thank you for your question.
New pap smear guidelines (and old as well) do pertain to virgins. Your doctor may have told you that you didn't need one in the past because you were not sexually active and perhaps under 21 as well? Old guidelines stated that a woman should get a pap smear at the age of 21 or whenever she was sexually active--whichever came first. New guidelines state that all women 21 and over should get their first smear.

The pap smear doesn't only check for STDs-- it checks for abnormal changes of the cells in the cervix. These pap checks help prevent cervical cancer in women.

After your first pap smear, if results are normal, then you should be expecting another every 2 years.

I hope this answered your question.